tried to install newly purchased one care to extend my subscription RRS feed

• Question

• I knew my subsription would be ending soon - I purchased a new version on Amazon (It was MUCH cheaper than the renewal rate by Microsoft)  Just went on to install it to extend my subscription and I get the message that another version is already installed.  Now I see that I have 6 months free cause they are stopping selling One Care soon.  Is there any way for me to add another 12 months using the newly purchaed version's product key?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.  I tried to find a phone number to talk to someone and that seems to be impossible. 
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:30 PM

Answers

• You cannot extend your subscription with the retail key at this time. What you can do uninstall the current copy that you have and abandon that subscription. Then install OneCare again (use the CD or install the trial from http://onecare.live.com ) and then subscribe with a new LiveID, creating a new subscription, using the option to activate with a retail key. I expect that new subscriptions will be completely disallowed after Microsoft Security Essentials is released later this year.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 8:08 PM