Backup Money 99 to flash drive or CD RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently running MSMoney 99 on my Windows 7 computer.  MSMoney 99 only allows me to backup to floppies (NOT AVAILABLE ON NEW COMPUTERS) and when I changed the C:\Money Backup to D:\Money Backup the file was not usable when I attempted to restore it to an old computer running XP.   Without a backup outside my computer I no longer feel confident in using MSMoney

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:00 PM

All replies

• Just to make sure, that old computer running XP had Microsoft Money 99 already installed on it, right?

How many *.mbf files did the backup process produce (one per floppy if you used floppies)?

What happened when you attempted to restore your *.mbf file to the old computer running XP?

Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:47 PM
  • Thanks in advance,

T/old computer did have MSMoney 99 already on it.  It took 2 floppies to back up t/old computer - t/second was not full.

I used a RW disc that my current computer requested an ok to use on another computer.  I gave it an "ok".  T/old computer attempted to read this dics but was unable when I tried to load it as "restor back-up".

Friday, September 17, 2010 5:58 PM
  • Money restore requires that Money 99 is already installed onto machine you are restoring to. Backup is not backing up the Money installation. It is only backing up the data.

It would be easier to copy the *.mny file from the first machine onto a USB flash drive, and then copy that file to the other machine in the Documents folder. Open that file with Money 99.

If you did have the files from two floppies that you had backed up to already, those files would be named *d1.mbf and *d2.mbf. Those files could be put into a folder on the machine's hard drive. Then File->Restore could get the files read into Money. When Money asks for the second diskette, just hit OK.

But again, you would be better off to just copy the *.mny file.

You could possibly convert to Money Plus Sunset. That would require an intermediate step. If you want to consider that, do it before the window closes  at the end of January.

Saturday, September 18, 2010 5:18 AM
  • Took me forever to find the file in Windows 7 as it doesn't seem to like finding extensions.  However, t/file is now backed-up and I have converted to Quicken soooooooooo hopefully I will never see MSMoneyn again.

Thanks for you previous suggestions.

Monday, October 11, 2010 4:44 PM