none
Enabling VPN Disables Network Connectivity! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all!

Last night I made the move to Windows Home Server from Server 2003 Standard.

All in all, its nice, I like it, mostly the same sorta setup to me but a bit more compact and easier to manage.

I do have one issue I'd like to get resolved ASAP though...under wink23 Std I had VPN enabled.  I basically had it enabled via network connections and setting the server to accept incoming connections via the single 10/100 nic on the server. I did the same under WHS but doing so actually disables networking on the server all together!  Not to mention in the incoming connection properties its stating there is no capable hardware that can accept incoming connections?! VERY STRANGE!

Here are my server specs in case it matters:

AMD Athkon XP @ 2.0ghz

1.5gb RAM

Nforce 2 based motherboard (K2N2G-ILSR)

4 x 120gb HDDs

1 x optical DVD-RW

Onboard 10/100 nforce based Ethernet card (latest drivers available)

Added in a older 10/100 3-com ethernet card as well just to see if it made a difference..it doesnt!

Any ideas on what's going on here?  Trying to enable VPN via Routing and Remote Access did the same thing!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:43 PM

Answers

• It's possible that it's the motherboard; some users have had problems with Nforce-based MBs. It's also possible that it's simply because you've tried to enable VPN through RRAS. That's unsupported on WHS. However, it really shouldn't be required in most circumstances. The Windows Home Server Remote Access web site offers the ability to use Remote Desktop to connect to your home PCs running supported operating systems.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:11 PM

All replies

• I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it as well...

The product is from the Action Pack (using this to test some software out), and the activation wizard thinks its OEM, and possibly Windows XP!?!? WTH?

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:12 PM
  • It's possible that it's the motherboard; some users have had problems with Nforce-based MBs. It's also possible that it's simply because you've tried to enable VPN through RRAS. That's unsupported on WHS. However, it really shouldn't be required in most circumstances. The Windows Home Server Remote Access web site offers the ability to use Remote Desktop to connect to your home PCs running supported operating systems.
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:11 PM
  • Erich Weihrauch said:

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it as well...

The product is from the Action Pack (using this to test some software out), and the activation wizard thinks its OEM, and possibly Windows XP!?!? WTH?

There was a known issue with the product keys for WHS from Action Pack, and I don't know, if this has been fixed in the latest package (in January package it should be).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:04 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback guys!

Also thanks for the link, the funny thing is I searched and searched for action pack, license acvitation, etc and never go any hits.

I've already moved back to win2k3 so I'm ditching home server for the time being.

Also, if R&RAS isn't supported, why include it ?!!

Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:55 PM
  • Erich Weihrauch said:

Also, if R&RAS isn't supported, why include it ?!!

thats caused by the fact, that Windows Home Server has been created on top of the already existing Windows Server 2003 platform. The WHS team could only add to, but not remove from, that basic OS platform. So only components are supported, which are enabled from the scratch, usable via console and do not come in conflict with the EULA.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:01 PM
  • True, but a few code changes here and there...or simply block acess to it.. in any event it shouldn't disable networking!

On the plus side, my server is working again so no harm, no foul.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:18 PM
  • Erich Weihrauch said:

True, but a few code changes here and there...or simply block acess to it.. in any event it shouldn't disable networking!

Well, the Windows Server 2003 portion of install is sealed. It takes an Act of Congress to make changes to that. And RRAS is a core feature of Windows Server 2003, even though it's not one of the more frequently used ones. There are some tweaks that can be made (and are, by WHS) through scripting the install, but it's still going to be on the installation media. And if it's on the installation media, you can get to it...
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:44 PM