none
Troubleshooting products

Question

• In order to ask my question, i need to give a basic idea on the problem.

I just deployed a machine using MDT/MDS/Pxe.  I released it to the user who performed a small number of customizations and somehow it caused his profile the sort of issue that leads to it getting stuck while shutting down AND while logging in.  

I figured he damaged some important profile file so I removed and rebuilt his profile using this information: http://superuser.com/questions/512484/how-do-i-force-windows-7-to-create-a-new-domain-profile-with-same-name-as-an-exi

He performed his configuration again and again the system hangs at shutdown or log in.  

I'm looking for a microsoft tool that would allow me to compare his machine before he started mucking about and after.  I thought that tool might be SCM but it appears to work based on group policy rather than actual computer info.  I'm looking for something a little more useful than taking a giant hash of his whole computer configs before and after, but not much. Just something to say...these are the files that have changed since the last time.  

Something along the lines of taking two restore points and comparing them.  But the only thing i know about restore points is how to take them and how to restore to them.

Given a product name i can get help from the appropriate microsoft forum, but i'm at a bit of a loss here, I have never encountered a problem like this (well, that i did not create and therefore know how to fix)

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:15 PM

Answers