Delete all files on install RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to install WHS PPBeta on my vista 64 laptop as a seconc machine. When the install gets to the "all files will be deleted" is this on the laptop or the server(hp media smart)? I got the conector to install but the status is red and it says to update from server. Cant access error mesage there, and i copied to a thum drive but of course that wont install on a 64 os.... Thanks in advance for any help...

R

Sunday, June 15, 2008 3:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Rick

That makes more sense :-)

Right, you need to only install the PP1 upgrade to your Windows Home Server.

When that has completed, on your 64 bit laptop, access the \\servername\software\ share (where servername is the name of your server) and then go into the Connector folder and run setup.

This will install the 64bit connector and away you go. You will then be able to backup your machine no problem.

Also, you dont actually need the connector installed to access the shared folders.

Andrew

Sunday, June 15, 2008 3:48 PM
  •  rick740 wrote:
    Ok now its getting clear. BUT (smile) Im using an HP MEDIASMART box, which is headless of course. So how do i get the PP on that machine, and I still aren't clear about the 64bit conector on the laptop.

R

Easy :-)

download the PP1 update to your desktop computer. Go to \\servername\software and copy the downloaded file to there.

Use Remote Desktop Connector from your desktop to connect to your WHS box - the username is Administrator and the password is whatever you set as the password. Open up the Software shared folder and double click the file you copied there.

This will install PP1 on your HP MS box (its how I did mine).

As for the 64 bit connector - as part of the PP1 upgrade, a 64 bit version of the connector is copied to the Software share which you then have to install once PP1 is installed. Once you have done that (by following my instructions in the previous response) it will be installed and everything is complete.

Andrew

Sunday, June 15, 2008 3:59 PM

All replies

• Rick

When you say you want to install it on your laptop - I assume you mean you want to have your laptop running a Windows Home Server installation and not just the connector?

If thats the case, the message about deleting files will be on the laptop.

Andrew

Sunday, June 15, 2008 3:40 PM
  •  

I have WHS installed on my desktop. I want to be able to back up the laptop on the same network as well and aslo access the shared folders and itunes etc. Do i need the whole package or just the conector? and how do i update the conector like the error message tells me? Thanks again... Im a little green when it comes to this server business.

R

Sunday, June 15, 2008 3:45 PM
  • Hi Rick

That makes more sense :-)

Right, you need to only install the PP1 upgrade to your Windows Home Server.

When that has completed, on your 64 bit laptop, access the \\servername\software\ share (where servername is the name of your server) and then go into the Connector folder and run setup.

This will install the 64bit connector and away you go. You will then be able to backup your machine no problem.

Also, you dont actually need the connector installed to access the shared folders.

Andrew

Sunday, June 15, 2008 3:48 PM
  • Ok now its getting clear. BUT (smile) Im using an HP MEDIASMART box, which is headless of course. So how do i get the PP on that machine, and I still aren't clear about the 64bit conector on the laptop.

R
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 3:53 PM
  •  rick740 wrote:
    Ok now its getting clear. BUT (smile) Im using an HP MEDIASMART box, which is headless of course. So how do i get the PP on that machine, and I still aren't clear about the 64bit conector on the laptop.

R

Easy :-)

download the PP1 update to your desktop computer. Go to \\servername\software and copy the downloaded file to there.

Use Remote Desktop Connector from your desktop to connect to your WHS box - the username is Administrator and the password is whatever you set as the password. Open up the Software shared folder and double click the file you copied there.

This will install PP1 on your HP MS box (its how I did mine).

As for the 64 bit connector - as part of the PP1 upgrade, a 64 bit version of the connector is copied to the Software share which you then have to install once PP1 is installed. Once you have done that (by following my instructions in the previous response) it will be installed and everything is complete.

Andrew

Sunday, June 15, 2008 3:59 PM