Restore Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I hoped I would never need the backups created on my Windows Home Server. But my C:\ drive crashed on my desktop machine. I have a spare drive to replace it and have the spare formated drve in an external case. The external drive can be attached to my laptop. When I attempted a restore from the server via the laptop a set-up process started. I did not know what excactly was occurring so I stopped. I have not been able to find documentation as to the exact process of restoring or even what will be restored. The ideal situation would be if it could clone the crashed drive. Does anyone have experience withe restore process and what it is I can expect? John deesjohnr@hotmail.com
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 7:44 PM

Answers

• Everything should be back to normal before the HDD died - you should not know any difference.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by JRDEEZ Friday, January 20, 2012 9:23 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 4:49 PM

All replies

• Put the new drive in your desktop in place of the dead drive and boot from the restore CD and you should be able to restore the whole drive. It's easier if you start with a blank drive.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Do you know the resulting restore will "clone" the original drive or just restore the data? The OS, programs and settings are of key interst to me as well.
    Friday, January 20, 2012 3:22 PM
  • Everything should be back to normal before the HDD died - you should not know any difference.
    • Marked as answer by JRDEEZ Friday, January 20, 2012 9:23 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 4:49 PM
  • Thanks Phil. I will let you know how it how it all works out.
    Friday, January 20, 2012 9:24 PM