Remote acces RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    i've been thinking about building my own server using WHS, but i've gotten confused about this remote acces feature, which is important for me.
    -Can i acces my server with ANY random pc, to up/download files,  without any of my home pc's on and without having to install the console software?
    -Is this the case where the client pc needs the XP pro or Vista ultimate/etc, or only if i want to connect to one of my home pc's?
    -Does this count for the 10 pc limit or is this only for the backup pc's using the console software?
    -If i take my laptop to work/school, and connect from there, do I have full options or does this count as a rondom pc?

Thanks alot,
    Skandalouz
    Monday, July 27, 2009 2:37 PM

Answers

• -Can i acces my server with ANY random pc, to up/download files,  without any of my home pc's on and without having to install the console software?
    Yes.
    -Is this the case where the client pc needs the XP pro or Vista ultimate/etc, or only if i want to connect to one of my home pc's?
    The restriction is on the client PC you want to connect to, not the PC you want to connect with.
    -Does this count for the 10 pc limit or is this only for the backup pc's using the console software?
    A PC that's "joined" to your server (listed in the console) counts against the limit, whether that PC is actually connected any more or not. A remote PC doesn't.
    -If i take my laptop to work/school, and connect from there, do I have full options or does this count as a rondom pc?
    I'm not sure what you're asking here. If you're asking about backup, then no, backup over the internet isn't supported. If you're asking about access to the shares, then yes, through the Remote Access web site. You also have access to the console through the Remote Access web site.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Skandalouz Monday, July 27, 2009 7:29 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2009 2:45 PM

All replies

• -Can i acces my server with ANY random pc, to up/download files,  without any of my home pc's on and without having to install the console software?
    Yes.
    The restriction is on the client PC you want to connect to, not the PC you want to connect with.
    A PC that's "joined" to your server (listed in the console) counts against the limit, whether that PC is actually connected any more or not. A remote PC doesn't.
    I'm not sure what you're asking here. If you're asking about backup, then no, backup over the internet isn't supported. If you're asking about access to the shares, then yes, through the Remote Access web site. You also have access to the console through the Remote Access web site.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Skandalouz Monday, July 27, 2009 7:29 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2009 2:45 PM
  • This is just what i needed. Windows Home Server is getting better every time i learn more about it :).
    My fourth question whas just about what you awnsered, whether or not i had the exact same options (like backup, etc.) when back home.
    Thanks a lot!
    Skandalouz

Monday, July 27, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Check with your ISP for the WHS box, they may block ports needed for remote access.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:30 PM