MAC access problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have setup a Windows Home Server on a network with Windows XP, Vista and MAC os10.4 and OS10.5 computers connected.

All the windows PCs can read and wirte to the Windows Server OK. The MACs can Read and write to the windows XP (FAT32) and the Vista (NTFS) PCs OK. THe MACs can also read from the Server drives OK.
    WHen I try to write to the WHS drives from the MACs I g an error -36 (OS10.5) and error -2122(OS10.4). In both cases the file is created on the WHS disk, but the contents fail to copy, which confirms the error message I receive.
    Any clues what could be causing the problem.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 1:42 PM

All replies

• I should have also said that all computers are using the same userid and password, and that user is set to full access on the server.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 2:01 PM
  • I'm sorry, but this sounds like a Mac issue, and probably one that's specific to your particular installation.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:42 PM
  • I am able to write to my WHS shares from my Mac (Leopard). -36 is a non-specific IO error. Is this with a specific type of file? Have you tried a very simple text file?

Also, how are you accessing the server? Through Finder? Does the server show up on the left side? Do you see al the shares when you click on it? I would also double check your password in the Keychain.

Next, check the error logs on WHS.

Good luck.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:53 AM
  • Are you using Apple NTFS to access WHS or have you loaded NTFS-3G.

I am all googled out with this one.
    I have a mounted a drive of a Windows XP PC with FORMAT: SMB(NTFS) and that works fine
    The WHS drives are mounted with FORMAT: SMB(NTFS), I can read from them but cannot write.

I need a break, or a genius who has encountered this before and has a wonder answer for me.

• Proposed as answer by Elstivo Sunday, December 27, 2009 8:58 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 1:16 PM
  • Hello I'm not a genius. I encountered the same problem you have. (excuse me for my english)
    This is what I did, it works for me.
    What I know is that WHS is a stripped down version of sbs 2003. In sbs 2003 you can write and read files with macos x to windows shares because of the service called file service for macintosh. I thought maybe I can activate it in the same way I would do it in SBS 2003.

You need your WHS DVD in place.

Go to start
        - console
           - add/remove windows components
               - Other Network File and Print Services
    Next
    This wil install fileservices for macintosh
    There is only one thing you have to do since you can not use the standard created shares by WHS, create manually a new share or shares.

Go to start
          - administrative tools
               - Computer management
                  - open shared folders
                    - shares right click
                        - browse to the right directory where the other shares are
                           - create new folder
                           next
                           mark Apple Macintosh users (don't forget)
                           next
                           choose your desired security
    Finish it
    It should work. I used it for 3 days now I encounterd now problems.

I hope it wil do the job as it did for me.

Regards

• Proposed as answer by Elstivo Sunday, December 27, 2009 9:40 PM
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 9:33 PM