none
VS2017 Enterprise, Python 3.6 Virutal Environment and .whl file installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Python Guru's,

I use Windows 10 and Visual Studio2017 64bit.

I try to install pymssql but the corporate network ensures
    that a network connection cant be established.
    So I downloaded pymssql-2.1.3-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl manually.
    When I now go in VS 2017 to my virtual environment, right click to install
    packages and type:

pip install C:\Users\xxxx\Downloads\pymssql-2.1.3-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl

I get the message:

Requirement already satisfied: pip in c:\users\xxxxx\downloads\iwt_django\iwt_django\iwt_django\env_iwt\lib\site-packages
    Collecting install
      Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor....
     Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement install (from versions: )
    No matching distribution found for install
    ----- Failed to install 'pip install C:\Users\xxxx\Downloads\pymssql-2.1.3-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl' -----

I read on Stackoverflow I can do the following to install into my virtual environment:

py -m pip install C:\Users\xxxxx\Downloads\pymssql-2.1.3-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl

But that just does not work.

Question; How do I install pymssql into my virtual environment?
    Friday, October 6, 2017 8:25 AM

Answers

• I downloaded python 3.6 and created
    the whole virtual environment.

I opened cmd and cd to:

C:\Users\metalray\Downloads\iwt_django\iwt_django\iwt_django\env_iwt\Scripts

I type activate and end up with:

(env_iwt) C:\Users\metalray\Downloads\iwt_django\iwt_django\iwt_django\env_iwt\Sc
    ripts>

when I type there:

py -3.6 -m pip install C:\Users\metalray\Downloads\pymssql-2.1.3-cp36-cp36m-win32.whl
    • Marked as answer by metallon123 Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:22 PM
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hi metallon123,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

To install the pymssql package, please check this doc: Step 1: Configure development environment for pymssql Python development and follow those steps, especially the step ‘Download pymssql module’, once you download the .whl file place it in the python installation folder. It seems you directly download and save the .whl file into the ‘Downloads’ folder, please remove it to the right python installation folder and try it again.

>> Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement install (from versions:)

You can have a look at this: How do I install pip on Windows? and make sure your environment variable PATH includes Python's folders.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, October 9, 2017 2:23 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to install pymssql in the virtual environment that I set up with Visual Studio, not for the basic python environment on my PC.

Can I use the whl file to install into my virtual python environment?

Monday, October 9, 2017 7:56 AM
  • Hi metallon,

Thank you for your update and sorry for my misunderstanding.

For the issue about the pymssql whl installation, it is better to redirect to this appropriate forum: https://github.com/pymssql/pymssql/issues to seek for a more professional support that come from the pymssql developers, our forum is to discuss the VS IDE. Sorry for this inconvenience and thank you for your cooperation.

If you have any other issues about the VS IDE in the future, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 5:40 AM
  • I downloaded python 3.6 and created
    the whole virtual environment.

I opened cmd and cd to:

C:\Users\metalray\Downloads\iwt_django\iwt_django\iwt_django\env_iwt\Scripts

I type activate and end up with:

(env_iwt) C:\Users\metalray\Downloads\iwt_django\iwt_django\iwt_django\env_iwt\Sc
    ripts>

when I type there:

py -3.6 -m pip install C:\Users\metalray\Downloads\pymssql-2.1.3-cp36-cp36m-win32.whl
    • Marked as answer by metallon123 Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:22 PM
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:22 PM