Money standard 2005 variety of problems RRS feed

• Question

• We're using Money standard 2005 because we own 2 versions which are installed on desktops and the data files on a server. Recently we began getting a message that Money is still running so we couldn't open the file. Rebooting the computer solved the problem.

Something happened Friday and we cannot add any transactions to one of our files. Restoring from last Thursday does not solve the problem. I've read some past posts and run as Administrator, which ran some updates etc. The problems didn't resolve. When things are working well, you don't go hunting and i see we should have done something prior to January 2011. Too late. And the Sunset looks like it is not for Standard users.

If I install Money 2006 on the server and put shortcuts on the desktops to the server, can I legally run 1 version of Money? Users are never in it together. It's one or the other employee. If installing Money 2006 will work, will it also fix my inability to add transactions?

Monday, July 25, 2011 6:05 PM

All replies

• Whether you are in the US, UK or Australia is relevent.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 6:39 PM
  • USA.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Few of the Money 2005 users posting here have been USA users.  That simlifies things. Running Money 2006, on both machines should do it. I am prett sure nobody is going to mind.

Money Plus Deluxe Sunset would do it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2118008 If  you are getting good online access on Money 2006, you may want to go that route. With Money Plus Deluxe Sunset you could use PocketSense to get OFX statements where available, but Maybe those are coming in directly to 2006. Whichever way you go, you might want to keep a copy of Money Plus Deluxe Sunset installation file for your future use.

Monday, July 25, 2011 7:19 PM
  • So the plan will be to install money 2006 on both desktops.  Then download and install money sunset on both machines. Should I downloadDeluxe or Home and Business version? Thanks for all your help thus far.

Monday, July 25, 2011 8:24 PM
  • So the plan will be to install money 2006 on both desktops.  Then download and install money sunset on both machines. Should I downloadDeluxe or Home and Business version? Thanks for all your help thus far.

While it is possible, if you go with Money 2006 install, you should download but not install Sunset. Just keep that as an option in the future by holding onto the install file.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 8:35 PM
  • I just read the article. It looks like I just install sunset and not install 2006. If i don't have Money on my machine, Microsoft Money is like freeware? I downloaded the Deluxe and Home/Business. Any recommendations which i should install?
    Monday, July 25, 2011 9:00 PM
  • Business can generate invoices.

Money 2006 might do more online things for you than Sunset.

Sunset spinoff works  better, and it has a few other features.

Sunset can convert a 2006 file. 2006 cannot make sense of a Sunset file.

Monday, July 25, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Thanks for all your help yesterday. I put Sunset Deluxe on my desktop and it converted the files on the server flawlessly. Have a great day.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:47 AM
  • Glad Money Plus Deluxe Sunset is working well for you. If you use one or more of the financial institutions with OFX servers, PocketSense would probably enhance things for you. http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2010/10/06/cal-learners-review-fidelity-401k-citi-card-and-vanguard-account-info/  lists such FIs and has good setup info. http://pocketsense.blogspot.com/ is PocketSense site.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:37 PM