Changing to the COA product key on upgraded pc RRS feed

• Question

• Employee updated his work computer from Windows 2000 to Windows XP with a student copy since the cd that came with the Dell did not support updating, only a clean install. Then, they could not change the product key to match the COA on the computer. The keyupdatetool_enu.exe states, "The product key could not be updated on your computer. This may be due to techical difficulties or network connectivity issues." Any ideas how to change the product key?
    Friday, October 5, 2007 9:32 PM

Answers

• The Windows Product Key Update Tool can only change a Windows XP Professional product key to a different Windows XP Professional product key.  It cannot change a Windows XP Professional product key to a Windows XP Home Edition or Windows 2000 product key.

Friday, October 5, 2007 11:03 PM
  • I am changing the key from window xp professional to windows xp professional. The only difference is the cd used to upgrade was obtained through the MSDN Academic Alliance.

I have run across the date problem before, but this is not the problem here. I have checked the time and date and updated xp to reflect the daylight savings change.

I am recieving a "An error has occured. This was probably caused by the keying of an invalid number. Please check it and try again." with a third party tool and the same error with microsoft tool. I have been able to change the key on a virtual machine to this key and validated it through Microsoft, so I know the key is valid.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:29 PM

All replies

• The Windows Product Key Update Tool can only change a Windows XP Professional product key to a different Windows XP Professional product key.  It cannot change a Windows XP Professional product key to a Windows XP Home Edition or Windows 2000 product key.

Friday, October 5, 2007 11:03 PM
  • This is a windows xp to windows xp product key. Windows was upgraded to XP with a product key that we do not own. We would like to change the product key to the one we do own, but the hace been unsuccessful with the tool and the manual change.

Sunday, October 7, 2007 4:03 AM
  • Which version of Windows XP was installed?  Professional or Home Edition?

Which product key do you wish to change to?  Professional or Home Edition?

Sunday, October 7, 2007 4:29 AM
  • The solution for this problem is very simple.  It is just a matter of having an incorrect date set on the system.  Double click on the clock on the bottom right and choose today's date.  problem solved!

Monday, October 8, 2007 11:38 PM
  • I am changing the key from window xp professional to windows xp professional. The only difference is the cd used to upgrade was obtained through the MSDN Academic Alliance.

I have run across the date problem before, but this is not the problem here. I have checked the time and date and updated xp to reflect the daylight savings change.

I am recieving a "An error has occured. This was probably caused by the keying of an invalid number. Please check it and try again." with a third party tool and the same error with microsoft tool. I have been able to change the key on a virtual machine to this key and validated it through Microsoft, so I know the key is valid.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:29 PM
  • Are you trying to use an Upgrade product key as opposed to a Full Version product key?

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 7:57 PM
  • The product key on the COA is a full version and the disk did not allow upgrades. The product key used to upgrade allowed either an upgrade or a full version.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 8:19 PM
  • The only other method you can try is to use the Dell Windows XP Professional Reinstallation CD that originally came with the Dell computer and facilitate a "repair install".

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 11:24 PM