Cant activate Win7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I got a new PC at work and it came with Win 7 Prof x32. I installed and activated OK. The I installed Linux and in Linux I installed VirtualBox. In VirtualBox I installed Win 7 with the same serial key, but it failed to activate. Error #C004C008.

How can I activate it?

Thanks

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:01 AM Moved to relevant forum category (From:Windows XP Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows XP))
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:29 AM

Answers

• If I uninstall the real Win7 installation and leave the virtual one will it be OK?

Most likely. It depends on the licensing for that copy of Windows. 

VirtualBox is a virtual machine and a virtual machine is still a machine (i.e. a computer or as the EULA refers to it: a Device). A Retail license allows the Windows to be moved to any number of computer as long as it is installed on only one Device at a time.

Note: OEM License allows the Windows to be installed and used only on the first device it is installed on.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:54 PM

All replies

• You will need to purchase another Windows 7 Professional license.
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:00 AM
  • I asked the local MS office and they told me the same though I don't understand why I cant have multiple copies of Win7 on ONE PC.

If I uninstall the real Win7 installation and leave the virtual one will it be OK?

Regards
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:22 PM
  • If I uninstall the real Win7 installation and leave the virtual one will it be OK?

Most likely. It depends on the licensing for that copy of Windows. 

VirtualBox is a virtual machine and a virtual machine is still a machine (i.e. a computer or as the EULA refers to it: a Device). A Retail license allows the Windows to be moved to any number of computer as long as it is installed on only one Device at a time.

Note: OEM License allows the Windows to be installed and used only on the first device it is installed on.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:54 PM