My product code is apparently invalid?! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I got a laptop for my birthday and it came with microsoft 2007 on it, it asked me to enter a product code that was on the bottom of my laptop in to the box... i did this and i was told it is invalid... i have tried numerous amounts of times and i am still being told it is invalid?! So i can not use any of my microsoft programmes, it lets me open them but i can not edit anything or open anything.

Thanks

Friday, December 10, 2010 9:38 PM

Answers

• The code on the bottom of your PC is for Windows, it is not for office, to activate office you will need a full, retail key. If you believe that office was supposed to ship with your computer then you should check the disks, documentation and manuals for the office COA and key, I believe it will be on a yellow or orange card.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:30 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 9:46 PM

All replies

• The code on the bottom of your PC is for Windows, it is not for office, to activate office you will need a full, retail key. If you believe that office was supposed to ship with your computer then you should check the disks, documentation and manuals for the office COA and key, I believe it will be on a yellow or orange card.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:30 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 9:46 PM
  • The code on the bottom of the laptop says microsoft product code? Is that not the one I need then? I don't have any other paperwork with the laptop, it came with microsoft already on it, i don't have any any orange or yellow cards with the box it came in.

Friday, December 10, 2010 10:14 PM
  • The key on the bottom is for Windows only, it is a backup activation key for the OEM_SLP activation for windows. Be careful not to destroy the sticker, the key can be very important for future activations of that computer. Office is a distinct product, it ships, and is installed separatley from windows. If a key and license did not come with your computer then you do not have a license for office.

This means you will need to purchase a valid install of MS office. Unless you have a previous version.

Saturday, December 11, 2010 12:25 AM