none
Error: Creating system partition failed: The server threw an exception 0x80010105 RRS feed

• Question

• I haven't been this frustrated in I don't know how long.  I took a box (AMD3400+ 4gb ram Abit AV8mobo, nvidia fx5200) that I had been running SBS 2003 on for a long time, that I was then using Windows 7 on for a couple of months and decided to try out WHS.

I got the installer to actually stop blue screening at the very start by disabling everything in the BIOS that I didn't think I needed (that again worked in SBS 2003 and Windows 7) like parallel port, serial port, firewire, sound and floppy all at once.

Every other time I start the installer after clicking NEXT> on the name your server screen it hangs and I have to reboot.  If I can actually get past that it always fails creating the system partition.

I've tried 4, yes 4 different IDE Maxtor 250gb HDs all of which I know are fine.  I've swapped around the drives in every known combination, trying to do it with 3, 2, or 1 hooked up in different combinations, with different IDE cables on the different channels, you name it.  No luck.

Thinking about trying to slipstream in an IDE driver from ABIT to see if that helps but the drives are always recognized so 'shouldnt' need to do that. 

BIOS is current.

Have tried with the onboard NIC disabled too, no diff.  Even tried instead of using an MSDN copy to downloading the trial ISO image and burning that thinking maybe the install disc was the issue but no change.

After about 14 times of going through the setup I'm looking for suggestions, as I'm SOOOO tired of entering that cd-key!  :)

Thanks in advance (and please don't say try to install it on a different box)

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:37 AM

All replies

• Anonymous12398 said:

I haven't been this frustrated in I don't know how long.  I took a box (AMD3400+ 4gb ram Abit AV8mobo, nvidia fx5200) that I had been running SBS 2003 on for a long time, that I was then using Windows 7 on for a couple of months and decided to try out WHS.

I got the installer to actually stop blue screening at the very start by disabling everything in the BIOS that I didn't think I needed (that again worked in SBS 2003 and Windows 7) like parallel port, serial port, firewire, sound and floppy all at once.

Every other time I start the installer after clicking NEXT> on the name your server screen it hangs and I have to reboot.  If I can actually get past that it always fails creating the system partition.

I've tried 4, yes 4 different IDE Maxtor 250gb HDs all of which I know are fine.  I've swapped around the drives in every known combination, trying to do it with 3, 2, or 1 hooked up in different combinations, with different IDE cables on the different channels, you name it.  No luck.

Thinking about trying to slipstream in an IDE driver from ABIT to see if that helps but the drives are always recognized so 'shouldnt' need to do that. 

BIOS is current.

Have tried with the onboard NIC disabled too, no diff.  Even tried instead of using an MSDN copy to downloading the trial ISO image and burning that thinking maybe the install disc was the issue but no change.

After about 14 times of going through the setup I'm looking for suggestions, as I'm SOOOO tired of entering that cd-key!  :)

Thanks in advance (and please don't say try to install it on a different box)

Have you tried formatting one of those drives in another PC first?  Or maybe your DVD drive is having issues....
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:10 AM
  • Hi,
    which Bluescreen do you get?
    Maybe you can try to reinitialize a disk like described in this FAQ.
    Also attach only one disk jumpered as Master (your wanted system drive) and ensure, that the DVD drive is connected to one of the primary IDE ports.
    Reset the Bios to default settings and upgrade it to the latest build.
    Remove all PCI cards, which are not explicitely necessary during installation.
    You do not need to enter the product key instantly, this can also be done later.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:50 AM
  • Blue screen isn't the problem, like I said I quickly looked that up, disabled some BIOS stuff and got well past that.

I've done all everyone suggests to no avail.  I left the box as is and installed Windows 7 again with no issues at all and will run that for a while until I feel like trying maybe a new mobo that WHS may like.  Can't explain it otherwise.
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:41 PM