XP Home Vs XP Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Would someone please enlighten me, what is the difference between Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional ?

I have an original Windows XP Home Edition, however, my friends, who are using the *ahem* "NON" original are persistent in saying that XP Pro has much more advantages than the one which I am already using.

Would someone please tell me the benefits of me converting my current OPERATING SYSTEM to the Professional version. Money wise, it is not too big of a difference, I was told that I the shop is willing to accept my XP Home Edition as a trade in.

Daniel

Sunday, June 4, 2006 6:28 PM

Answers

• Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional are essententially the same operating system, except that Windows XP Professional includes a few more features:

Windows XP Home Edition Comparison Guide http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

If I were you, I would continue to use Windows XP Home Edition unless you have specific needs to use the addtional features included with Windows XP Professional.

Sunday, June 4, 2006 8:44 PM

All replies

• Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional are essententially the same operating system, except that Windows XP Professional includes a few more features:

Windows XP Home Edition Comparison Guide http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

If I were you, I would continue to use Windows XP Home Edition unless you have specific needs to use the addtional features included with Windows XP Professional.

Sunday, June 4, 2006 8:44 PM
  • The big difference to a lot of IT-savvy guys is the following;

Computers can be organised in a group in two ways, a workgroup and a domain, a workgroup (which home and pro can be in) is a simple group of computers that can share some stuff like printers.  A domain is a little more complicated and only XP Pro computers can be part of a domain.  A domain does things like automatically send usernames and passwords to printers and other network resources.  If you have one computer at home there is no reason why you can't use home and be perfectly happy, not missing the way pro computers can interract with each other.  If you run a business of any sort, it's best to go with Pro.

I would be more cautious that the trade in being offered to you is genuine than I would making the right Windows XP type choice.  Check that out thoroughly before going with it.

Monday, June 5, 2006 12:28 PM
  • There aren't but a few differences betwen the 2. The home addition has all the same features , but with the home addition some features are disabilable. But you can enable them. I found out by doing some search & read.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:25 AM