Update today 3-25-09 LEGIT??? RRS feed

• Question

• When I started my PC today a window opened saying that OneCare was updating, would be unavailable during the update, I should not restart my computer and I would be notified when the update completed.

I have never seen anything like this before and I never got a message indicating that the update was complete. Have I fallen prey to one of those bogus security program spyware/adware scams or is this recent update legit?
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:51 AM

Answers

• That is exactly the message you will see when there is a One Care program update. After the update your build number should have gone from 2.5.2900.22 to 2.5.2900.24. 
    Jim
    • Marked as answer by Fozman Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:11 AM
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:59 AM

All replies

• That is exactly the message you will see when there is a One Care program update. After the update your build number should have gone from 2.5.2900.22 to 2.5.2900.24. 
    Jim
    • Marked as answer by Fozman Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:11 AM
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:59 AM
  • Thanks for the super fast response. My version number has changed to what you have stated. I got nervous when 30 mins went by and OneCare hadn't given me a message stating the update completed.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:04 AM
  • So when I installed the update, it reset all of my settings and programs to a never-been-run state, disassociated my folders, un-did my MS Groove 2007 account and all of my documents that had been on my desktop are gone.

What do I do? I neither have the time nor inclination to re-setup my computer and all of my settings. I am ANGRGY!

The message I received also told me that without the update that OneCare would no longer work.

If I have to have this update for OneCare to work and it is going to mess up (explitive deleted) my computer, I want my money back and will be going with something like the Symantic product.

Also.... Why do the links from the OneCare home page STILL point to the old forrum instead of the new one... Come on Microsoft, you are supposed to be experts at this. Get it together!
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:46 PM
  • I suspect the update message you saw was not a One Care update message but was generated by malware. One Care does not ask you to install One Care updates, it just installs them. I suggest contacting support for help. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    Friday, March 27, 2009 12:08 AM
  • It did not ask me to install the update. It told me that OneCare is about to install an update. During the update, OneCare will not be availabe and I should not restart mu computer and I would be notified when the update completed.

Same message as Fozman received.

I called Tech support and they just had me do a system restore. Now, less than 10 minutes after getting off the phone with Support, the exact same message has popped up... Looks like I am in a vicious cycle.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 12:13 AM
  • I'm sorry support's first attempt did not resolve your issue. I suggest getting back with support to resolve the issue correctly. It would be appreciated if you would post back the resolution. 
    Jim
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:17 AM
  •  Same error message happened to me after getting the same notice as others above the live one care would be updating.  Now all admin functions are disabled, I cant uninstall live one care.  I contacted support and nothing so far has worked.

Worst part is this happened to me a month or so ago.  I spent 8 + hours on the phone with Microsoft and HP and ending up having to take the computer back to factory settings.  I use my laptop for my business, my graduate coursework and personal use, so re-installing all software, programs, and files is a huge, time consuming and stressful issue.  I am in tears just thinking that I am about to do it again.   

I will never use this program again.  It has cost me hours of productivity and billable time to my clients. 
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:59 AM
  • Anyone else out there with this problem running Vista?  Live OneCare Tech Support is telling me that something is wrong with my operating system, not Live OneCare.  However, this issue happened as a direct result of an update, or fake update from Live OneCare.  I thought this software was designed to prevent viruses, so I am wondering why Microsoft would sell a product that does not protect its own operating system.

Friday, March 27, 2009 2:52 AM
  • I can understand your frustration and anger at having a computer issue after a One Care update not once, but twice. Both your issue and MitigationElf's issue could be caused by a corrupt user profile but you would expect to see awarning message at startup if that was the case. Although the issue may be caused by something amiss in your operating system, the One Care update caused you to lose some functionality. All I can suggest is to continue to work with support and if the support tehnician cannot resolve the issue ask to have your support case escalated.
    Jim
    Friday, March 27, 2009 4:08 AM
  • Thanks Jim.  Yes my user profile is definitely corrupted.  All my admin functions are disabled and I am unable to create a new user profile.  Live OneCare says it is a Vista issue and has passed me off to them, and sent an email saying I can expect someone to call me from 8 - 10 pm tonight.  This after they told me they would have Vista call me with in 10 minutes.  Good thing I didn't wait around. 

I just can't believe that Microsoft won't stand by their own software.  Their software caused this issue, and they won't resolve it.  Unbelievable! 

Now I have to spend another day wiping out my computer and re-loading everything.  They really should be compensating me for this time, since they have no solution for me and this is the second time their software has caused this issue.  I will NOT be re loading Live OneCare, I am going to have to find a new virus protection program.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 12:08 PM
  • I'm sorry to read about the problem you encountered with the corrupt User profile when the PC rebooted from the update. However, Microsoft *is* supporting you in that they promised to call you back this evening to deal with the Vista problem.
    I realize that the problem occurred during the reboot from the OneCare update, but the problem could have been caused by any number of issues during the reboot - particularly if another process was holding the profile and the shutdown process had to kill it. The problem can also be caused by a hard drive that is beginning to fail. OneCare was a contributer in that it required the reboot, but it was not the cause of the problem.
    There are ways to recover the User Profile or repair the OS that do not require a format/reinstall of the OS.
    Using Vista, one way to try is to boot the computer with the Vista DVD in the drive, then select the option to repair the OS. Of course, if your PC manufacturer does not provide a Vista DVD, but only a recovery process, this won't be available to you.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, March 27, 2009 12:43 PM
  • OneCare was the problem.  According to what I have read on here, this was not a legitimate update.  Therefore, OneCare was not able to protect my computer as advertised.  I have no way to know what information was comprimised by this intrusion.  I purchased Live OneCare specifically to prevent this type of problem.

Even if it was a legitimate OneCare update, this program is certified for use with Vista, so an update should never corrupt my user profile or harm the OS in any way.  The pop up did not allow me to choose whether I wanted the update, just stated that an update was going to occur.  I did not have the option to decline the update.

I do not have a Vista DVD, the laptop was purchased in September 08 and HP no longer provides the discs with new PCs.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 2:53 PM
  • The update was indeed legitimate, so I don't know what you read. OneCare was updated to version 2.5.2900.22 about a week ago and a bug was discovered after deployment that required another update to version 2.5.2900.24. This second update was released a few days ago. Both updates caused some systems to require a reboot to complete the update as files that are in use during the update cannot be changed by the update process.
    A corrupt user profile, as I mentioned before, can be caused by many things. Unfortunately for you, rebooting for the OneCare update to complete caused the PC to come back up to a corrupt user profile. Sometimes, rebooting a second time can resolve it simply as the profile was not corrupt, just locked. However, when it is corrupt, it needs to be repaired or recovered, which can be a painful process and is beyond the scope of the OneCare tech support people in most cases, hence the referral to Vista support.
    This article explains how to recover the data from a corrupt profile:
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/769495bf-035c-4764-a538-c9b05c22001e1033.mspx

If your PC loads into your current profile wthout prompting for a password, you will need to log into the Administrator profile, logging out of your current session and logging back in as Administrator. You may have no password on that account or you set one when the PC was originally configured and set up during the first startup.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, March 27, 2009 4:09 PM
  • This is actually a legitimate One Care update. The way the update was originally described in an earlier post caused me to think otherwise. This may help you recover a corrupt user profile - http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/769495bf-035c-4764-a538-c9b05c22001e1033.mspx If you are unable to create a new user account it may be possible to to create a new user account using the Administrator account in Safe Mode.
    Jim
    Friday, March 27, 2009 4:18 PM