Internet Security on WHS PC RRS feed

• Question

• I am just finishing up a new PC build just for a WHS.  What is done for internet security on the actual WHS PC?  Can I, do I need to, install Norton Internet Security 2010 or any other internet security program.  I also have the Norton Utility program.  Is it OK to install that as well to help keep the WHS PC healthy?  Is it OK to install other programs on this machine?

I have searched this forum to no avail, and the installation documentation does not even address these questions.  Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated.
    • Moved by kariya21Moderator Sunday, November 8, 2009 2:49 PM software question (From:Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation)
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 1:41 PM

Answers

• I am just finishing up a new PC build just for a WHS.  What is done for internet security on the actual WHS PC?

It has Windows Firewall.

Can I, do I need to, install Norton Internet Security 2010 or any other internet security program.

You should not install any IS program on it as it could very easily complicate how it works (plus it's not supported).  All it needs is an A/V (if you want to install one, which I would recommend).

I also have the Norton Utility program.  Is it OK to install that as well to help keep the WHS PC healthy?

Installing any app that requires server desktop access is unsupported.

Is it OK to install other programs on this machine?

See above comment.

I have searched this forum to no avail, and the installation documentation does not even address these questions.  Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated.
    It is not necessary to install anything on your server.  However, installing an A/V on it is recommended (especially if you are using Remote Access and/or allow other users access to your server).  However, do not install anything that is not specifically designed for WHS.  If you want to install an A/V, Avast! and F-Secure both make WHS-specific versions.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 2:48 PM

All replies

• I am just finishing up a new PC build just for a WHS.  What is done for internet security on the actual WHS PC?

It has Windows Firewall.

Can I, do I need to, install Norton Internet Security 2010 or any other internet security program.

You should not install any IS program on it as it could very easily complicate how it works (plus it's not supported).  All it needs is an A/V (if you want to install one, which I would recommend).

I also have the Norton Utility program.  Is it OK to install that as well to help keep the WHS PC healthy?

Installing any app that requires server desktop access is unsupported.

Is it OK to install other programs on this machine?

See above comment.

It is not necessary to install anything on your server.  However, installing an A/V on it is recommended (especially if you are using Remote Access and/or allow other users access to your server).  However, do not install anything that is not specifically designed for WHS.  If you want to install an A/V, Avast! and F-Secure both make WHS-specific versions.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 2:48 PM
  • Hey, thanks for the quick and complete reply to my questions above!!!!!!!!!!

I appreciate your assistance and look forward to getting the most out of WHS.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 4:59 PM