Anyone know why a slideshow using files from WHS causes PC to not sleep? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows 7 and have been using the Sidebar "Slideshow" gadget.  I had it configured to pull pictures out of my \\Server\Photos folder and subfolders.  This has been working very nicely and it gives a beautiful rotating shuffled view of my photos that are there.

However, I also noticed after several weeks that my PC hadn't been going into sleep mode.  After a lot of diagnosis (using powercfg -requests and powercfg -energy), I determined that my PC wasn't going to sleep because it found open files on the network.

Lo and behold, as soon as I turned off the sidebar gadget, it went to sleep the next time.  However, is there a reason that the slideshow and WHS and Win7 interact in this way? Is there a way to have my cake (the pictures from the WHS server) and eat it (let the PC sleep) too?  Anyone else seen this behavior?
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:53 PM

All replies

• It's not limited to WHS / Win7 or slideshow gadget. Some possible solutions close to bottom of this thread.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 8:37 AM