none
.dat files appearing in my IE8 Explorer favourites. RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know why I get   .Datxxxx      files appearing in my explorer favourites.  I keep going in and deleting them but a few days later more appear.  I know the answer is probably simple but then so am I.

Any advice appreciated but specifically related to this problem would be GREAT Surprise)

Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• Two questions...

1)  Are favorites part of one of your folder pairs?

2)  Does the filename look something like "SyncToy_a9ec6d1e-673d-49ca-9eac-51979d39b39c.dat"? (I just want to clarify whether or not it's a SyncToy file).

-Aaron

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:41 PM
  • Nope.  I am talking about the Internet Explorer 'Favorites'.  I have various favourite websites I visit like most people and yet I keep seeing new .dat files that have appeared in my favorites list from no where.  Here is an actual filename

.dat0c70.000

Want to stick with IE but this is starting to annoy.

Friday, September 26, 2008 7:56 AM
  • Hmm....we don't know too much about IE on our team.   The folks in the IE8 newsgroup might be able to help: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta&cat=en_us_2BAF8EC5-645C-4477-A380-0F1CF6C102F9&lang=en&cr=us.

-Aaron

Friday, September 26, 2008 3:42 PM
  • I had the exact same issue under IE7 and recently discovered it was caused when I synchronised my Favorites to my iPhone (using latest version of iTunes v8.0.2.20) - thanks Apple.

-Brad
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:11 AM
  • I had the exact same issue under IE7 and recently discovered it was caused when I synchronised my Favorites to my iPhone (using latest version of iTunes v8.0.2.20) - thanks Apple.

-Brad

Has anyone figured out a fix to this one?  I recently "fixed" IE8 and restored to the previous version thinking the upgrade is what did it.  After reading Brad's comment, I have to agree since I just got an IPOD Touch and it seems to coincide to the start of that Favorites Bar problem (naming the files like .dat0afc.000 ).  It is getting annoying, since I just deleted 760 of these files.  My next option is another program.  Thanks in advance!

-Todd
    • Proposed as answer by kevnwilson Monday, March 22, 2010 10:59 PM
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 6:54 PM
  • A temporary fix is to view your favorites in Win Explorer, search for *.dat*, select all and delete.  There seems to be an issue with my iTouch and others are reporting their iPhone when they synch.
    Monday, March 22, 2010 11:02 PM
  • Dear ScottConfused,

Did you ever figure out a solution for this?   I have recently bought an I phone and synched it to my windows desktop.

Tim

Friday, July 16, 2010 6:47 AM
  • I have the same problem, and it started just when I got my iphone and synced it to itunes on my windows desktop.  I can only delete one at a time, and there are literally dozens.  Holding down the 'shift' key doesn't seem to work for selecting them all. 
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:11 PM