none
Can you lose more points than you gained? RRS feed

• Question

• So posted a response within eight hours of it being posted, that then sometime later was marked as the answer by the community.

Later than that the question asker unmarks my response as answer. So +15 for community marked answer within 8, -20 for asker unmarking an answer within 8. So -5 overall, i.e. 5 less points than if I have not posted.

Appears to have just been the case for me with in this thread.

So anybody seen or can confirm if this happens?

Anywhere I can see the subtractions? (appreciate they are not publically available)

Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:17 PM

Answers

• I have had this happen also. There is an explanation under the FAQ's somewhere that I found.

Please remember to select Mark as Answer if someone provides the answer or mark as helpful if the response helps to lead you in the right direction.

• Marked as answer by -Mr Happy- Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:31 PM
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:31 PM
  • Hi, reviewing your case, I'd admit you're right. 

In the recognition rules:

• When the quick answer(within 8 hours) is marked by Community, he gets 15 points.
    • When the quick answer is marked by Asker, he gets 20 points.
    • Meanwhile, quick answer unmark by Community, he loses 15 points.
    • Quick answer unmark by Asker, he loses 20 points.

By permutation and combination, there's a chance that user may get or lose 5 points due to it. Normally, this may not be a common case. I'd guess the rules are considering the answers confirmed by Asker has more values and encourage users to communicate with asker to resolve problems. 

We'll review the rules and meanwhile I'd suggest more communication with asker will gain the points. :)

Better Forum!

• Marked as answer by -Mr Happy- Wednesday, June 1, 2016 12:57 PM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 9:08 AM

All replies

• I have had this happen also. There is an explanation under the FAQ's somewhere that I found.

Please remember to select Mark as Answer if someone provides the answer or mark as helpful if the response helps to lead you in the right direction.

• Marked as answer by -Mr Happy- Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:31 PM
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:31 PM
  • I'm pretty sure that is not an expected result. I'd send an email to fissues [at] Microsoft [dot] com to confirm.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:32 PM
  • Hi, reviewing your case, I'd admit you're right. 

In the recognition rules:

• When the quick answer(within 8 hours) is marked by Community, he gets 15 points.
    • When the quick answer is marked by Asker, he gets 20 points.
    • Meanwhile, quick answer unmark by Community, he loses 15 points.
    • Quick answer unmark by Asker, he loses 20 points.

By permutation and combination, there's a chance that user may get or lose 5 points due to it. Normally, this may not be a common case. I'd guess the rules are considering the answers confirmed by Asker has more values and encourage users to communicate with asker to resolve problems. 

We'll review the rules and meanwhile I'd suggest more communication with asker will gain the points. :)

Better Forum!

• Marked as answer by -Mr Happy- Wednesday, June 1, 2016 12:57 PM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 9:08 AM
  • I've been robbed I tell you, robbed!

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 12:57 PM
  • Still notice this, I interact lots and the mod mark me as the answer, but I lose more points if the user then unmarks it. An obvious shortcoming in the forums to me. Difficult perhaps to overcome for the forum creators.
    Saturday, September 3, 2016 10:51 PM