Increase size of C: RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

WHS seems to set up with a C: drive of 20Mb. Is there any way to make this bigger without disturbing the disk? I am running out of space

Jon
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:20 AM

Answers

• There is no supported way to do so, and if you are using your WHS computer as a server rather than an extension of your desktop or a desktop PC in it's own right, there should be no reason to do so. That said, some forum member have experimented and found that interrupting installation at the appropriate time allowed them to resize the partitions.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:30 AM
  • It can be done at install time but I wouldn't do it after:

Tutorial: How to resize the system drive to make C more than 20G.

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:07 AM
  • Hi Jon,
    if you dont want to use a 3rd party tool for such stuff, swapping in a Vista DVD after hat first stage of setup, booting from it, selecting computer repair options and opening command prompt here would make it also possible to extend the volume with diskpart by entering following commands:

diskpart
    list volume
    select volume C
    (replace C with the drive letter, which is shown for the SYS volume)
    extend size=30000 (increases selected volume size by 30 GB of subseqent free disk space, so this can only be done, before the DATA volume has been created)
    exit

Swap in the WHS DVD again and reboot to continue setup.
    As Ken already said, it's unsupported and makes usually not too much sense (the more you have stored on C: the more you will loose in case of a server reinstall, since this will always wipe C: - but keep the size as you made it). And this will not work on an headless server, in this case you would have to remove the system volume and attach it to another PC to perform the operation at the right time. But this maybe somewhat hard to determine.

Other than that, if you have not installed applications on the server filling up your C: drive with their data, you should login to the server desktop, click Start/Run and type
    %qlogs%. Check, if there is an extra huge log file and delete this.
    The same could be the case for subfolders of Windows\system32\Logfiles.

The freeware TreeSize may help also to figure out the space hogging folder (exclude C:\FS from analyzing).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:00 AM

All replies

• There is no supported way to do so, and if you are using your WHS computer as a server rather than an extension of your desktop or a desktop PC in it's own right, there should be no reason to do so. That said, some forum member have experimented and found that interrupting installation at the appropriate time allowed them to resize the partitions.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:30 AM
  • It can be done at install time but I wouldn't do it after:

Tutorial: How to resize the system drive to make C more than 20G.

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:07 AM
  • Hi Jon,
    if you dont want to use a 3rd party tool for such stuff, swapping in a Vista DVD after hat first stage of setup, booting from it, selecting computer repair options and opening command prompt here would make it also possible to extend the volume with diskpart by entering following commands:

diskpart
    list volume
    select volume C
    (replace C with the drive letter, which is shown for the SYS volume)
    extend size=30000 (increases selected volume size by 30 GB of subseqent free disk space, so this can only be done, before the DATA volume has been created)
    exit

Swap in the WHS DVD again and reboot to continue setup.
    As Ken already said, it's unsupported and makes usually not too much sense (the more you have stored on C: the more you will loose in case of a server reinstall, since this will always wipe C: - but keep the size as you made it). And this will not work on an headless server, in this case you would have to remove the system volume and attach it to another PC to perform the operation at the right time. But this maybe somewhat hard to determine.

Other than that, if you have not installed applications on the server filling up your C: drive with their data, you should login to the server desktop, click Start/Run and type
    %qlogs%. Check, if there is an extra huge log file and delete this.
    The same could be the case for subfolders of Windows\system32\Logfiles.

The freeware TreeSize may help also to figure out the space hogging folder (exclude C:\FS from analyzing).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:00 AM