Re: Questions regarding KB949810 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a rookie WSUS Admin, and found this update on my en-gp update server.

Not a major problem if you want to check mthis kind of thing, but we do need info on this ASAP - Why is it appearing on English WSUS Servers? Can we damage English installations installing it? why is it in the critical catagory?

The only thing that stopped it rolling out is the licence agreement, thank goodness.

I googled the KB number, and it bought me here - is there going to be an English KB article?

Friday, April 18, 2008 8:48 AM

Answers

•  Dave21 wrote:

I'm a rookie WSUS Admin, and found this update on my en-gp update server.

Not a major problem if you want to check mthis kind of thing, but we do need info on this ASAP - Why is it appearing on English WSUS Servers? Can we damage English installations installing it? why is it in the critical catagory?

The only thing that stopped it rolling out is the licence agreement, thank goodness.

I googled the KB number, and it bought me here - is there going to be an English KB article?

Hi Dave21,

Here is a link to the English KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949810/en-us

No, you will not damage your English installations by installing it.  If you do not wish to do so, please decline the EULA, or choose not to deploy it. 

If there is anything we can do to help, please ask.

Thanks for the post,

Michelle

Sunday, April 20, 2008 7:12 PM

All replies

•  

'No -- I called Microsoft and found out that by mistake the WGA Notification software was available to all briefly on tax day. "The Office Genuine Advantage notifications update (KB949810) is intended only for Microsoft Office users in Italy, Spain, Turkey and Chile," said Cori Hartje, director of Microsoft's Genuine Software Initiative. "For a short time on the 15th of April, it was made available to users in other countries. A number of users who proactively sought product updates in this time frame were able to download Office Genuine Advantage notifications. We commend those users who actively seek product updates and apologize for any inconvenience or confusion this update may have created. We have taken steps to limit access to this update only to those users in Italy, Spain, Turkey and Chile." '

The Gripe Line | Ed Foster | InfoWorld | A Genuine Microsoft mistake | April 18, 2008 12:19 AM | Ed Foster:
    http://weblog.infoworld.com/gripeline/archives/2008/04/a_genuine_micro.html

Can someone inform the WSUS team that KB949810 it still up there on the WSUS server as a critical update please?
    Friday, April 18, 2008 2:46 PM
  •  Dave21 wrote:

I'm a rookie WSUS Admin, and found this update on my en-gp update server.

Hi Dave21,

Here is a link to the English KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949810/en-us

No, you will not damage your English installations by installing it.  If you do not wish to do so, please decline the EULA, or choose not to deploy it. 

If there is anything we can do to help, please ask.

Thanks for the post,

Michelle

Sunday, April 20, 2008 7:12 PM