Using Blu-Ray Tech. for back-up with the Windows One Care System RRS feed

• Question

• Good evening.  Here is my issue/problem.  I purchased a Sony LV-290 J/B in June 2009, which includes Blu-Ray +/- R/RW, which utilizes CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray Tech.  I performed the "initial back-up" (when you 1st get a new computer) by using the blu-ray tech and the Microsoft Windows One Care software;  the choices of usein the CD/DVD/BD was shown in the One Care window and I did this twice before (Jun - July 2009).  Now, I have (admittedly) slacked off through Sept. but performed my thrid back-up 10/16/09, and what I noticed was the blu-ray tech. was not recognized via Microsoft Windows One-Care software.  I am puzzled because that was my primary focus on getting this computer, by using the blu-ray tech. for that purpose and not to look at movies.

I spoke with technicians from both Sony and Microsoft.  After I gave them (Sony) access, the technician said it must be a software problem because the blu-ray drive is working fine (had to put in a blu-ray dvd to test the drive) and I should contact Microsoft.  After speaking with Mircrosoft, they told me
    (1) I was the first to give them this TYPE OF problem/issue; and (2) One Care does not support the blu-ray tech.  How can this be when I (initially) used the blu-ray tech. twice before?  To make matters worse, like an idiot and not thinking, I erased my original blu-ray back-up DVD because I thought "hey, this needs to be formatted..." after seeing the error message stating (roughly) "drive is not recognized..."

So, I would like someone to educate me on this, not just because I spent $$$$$ for this and I can't really use it in the capacity I want, especially with Windows 7 on the horizon for me to upgrade (I have Vista).  Anyone, Please advise.

Sincerely,
    Jayson C.
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:10 PM backup issue (From:Windows Live OneCare Install and Activate)
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:30 AM

Answers

• Jason,

Simple, Blu-Ray wasn't (and still isn't) a standard technology on the Windows PC platform when OneCare was originally designed.  Most likely your earlier success was a result of something within the driver definition files for the Blue-Ray drive just happening to perform a translation that looked "normal" enough to Windows for OneCare to accept it, but some later update to the driver or operating system itself has 'broken' that translation.

In any case, you are beating your head into a brick wall, since OneCare itself is no longer available for sale and will be completely gone by the end of 2010, and more realistically for you when your current subscription expires.

The best course of action for you if you are already planning an upgrade to Windows 7 is to determine whether the drive will be supported natively with that OS and thus be usable with the backup program included with Windows 7, which is apparently similar to what's in OneCare.

From what I see this may not be as easy as you'd think, since the Blue-Ray device isn't directly supported in Windwos 7 either, though there may be other options.  Here's a starting point that discusses some of this:

http://windows7news.com/2009/10/13/how-to-get-blue-ray-support-in-windows-7/comment-page-1/

Rob
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:20 AM

All replies

• Jason,

Simple, Blu-Ray wasn't (and still isn't) a standard technology on the Windows PC platform when OneCare was originally designed.  Most likely your earlier success was a result of something within the driver definition files for the Blue-Ray drive just happening to perform a translation that looked "normal" enough to Windows for OneCare to accept it, but some later update to the driver or operating system itself has 'broken' that translation.

In any case, you are beating your head into a brick wall, since OneCare itself is no longer available for sale and will be completely gone by the end of 2010, and more realistically for you when your current subscription expires.

The best course of action for you if you are already planning an upgrade to Windows 7 is to determine whether the drive will be supported natively with that OS and thus be usable with the backup program included with Windows 7, which is apparently similar to what's in OneCare.

From what I see this may not be as easy as you'd think, since the Blue-Ray device isn't directly supported in Windwos 7 either, though there may be other options.  Here's a starting point that discusses some of this:

http://windows7news.com/2009/10/13/how-to-get-blue-ray-support-in-windows-7/comment-page-1/

Rob
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:20 AM
  • I'm not sure how you ever used a BluRay disc for a OneCare backup as it has never been supported. Using the burner with a standard DVD+/- R disc should work, just not a BluRay disc.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:12 PM