backup locations RRS feed

• Question

• I find it rather annoying that you limit what devices I can back up to or what locations. 250 MB zip drives for instance are a handy place to back up data albiet small but the end user should be the one to decide.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 5:42 PM

Answers

• Create a Windows share on the zip drive with whatever name you choose. Then use the 'Network Location' option in OneCare backup to browse to that share as the backup target. This was provided as a workaround in OneCare 2.0 to allow backup to devices that couldn't be supported directly.

You are correct that such a small device is really not an acceptable location as a backup target, since there are much cheaper and more effective products avialbale for a few dollars off the shelf just about anywhere. So such old out of date devices are not ever likely to receive direct support within OneCare. Even a single CD-R can backup almost 3 times as much on a single disk, and I just bought a 2GB flash drive for $12, though I still wouldn't use it for WLOC backup.

OneCareBear

Sunday, December 2, 2007 5:29 AM

All replies

• Create a Windows share on the zip drive with whatever name you choose. Then use the 'Network Location' option in OneCare backup to browse to that share as the backup target. This was provided as a workaround in OneCare 2.0 to allow backup to devices that couldn't be supported directly.

You are correct that such a small device is really not an acceptable location as a backup target, since there are much cheaper and more effective products avialbale for a few dollars off the shelf just about anywhere. So such old out of date devices are not ever likely to receive direct support within OneCare. Even a single CD-R can backup almost 3 times as much on a single disk, and I just bought a 2GB flash drive for $12, though I still wouldn't use it for WLOC backup.

OneCareBear

Sunday, December 2, 2007 5:29 AM
  • I just happend to have to go through the procedure to re-establish having my CD/DVD Writer back again as my Windows Live OneCare backup location.

Here is how You get it back:

1. Open Windows Live OneCare.

2. Click Change settings, under Backup tab, press "Configure backup..."

3. On the right panel, change the backup schedule beside "When" to "Remind me with Tune-up"

4. Click Next to save the change.

5. Please repeat step 1 to 2 and click "Change location" beside "Choose device", select the device or the network location you would like to save the backup data and then click "OK".

Viola' that's it.

Horst F. Roehling

Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:01 AM
  •  Horst F. Roehling wrote:

I just happend to have to go through the procedure to re-establish having my CD/DVD Writer back again as my Windows Live OneCare backup location.

Here is how You get it back:

1. Open Windows Live OneCare.

2. Click Change settings, under Backup tab, press "Configure backup..."

3. On the right panel, change the backup schedule beside "When" to "Remind me with Tune-up"

4. Click Next to save the change.

5. Please repeat step 1 to 2 and click "Change location" beside "Choose device", select the device or the network location you would like to save the backup data and then click "OK".

Viola' that's it.

Horst F. Roehling

i have almost the same problem just that i recently got my computer fix and don't know where to look for the back up.

when i open the add location i don't know what location to add. everything on the inside like mother board, power supply and etc. is new. please tell me where do i go to back up my computer. i tried the steps but like i said everything is new and don't know where to go to back it up.

Friday, April 25, 2008 6:30 AM
  • The first question is, are you using Windows Live OneCare? And, assuming that the answer is, yes, the choice for where to specify the destination for your backup depends on your capabilities. If you do not have an external hard drive or a network location (a shared folder on another PC, for example), you can backup to CD/DVD as long as you have a burner installed and recognized in your PC. If you follow the backup configuration wizard per the above steps to define the "where" for backup, it will default to the burner. If you have no burner, you will either need to purchase an external drive, a large flash/thumb drive with capacity to handle the amount of data you will backup, specify a network location if you have multiple computers in your home and can configure a Share, or a CD/DVD burner to be installed in the PC. If you need help in determining the capabilities of your PC, check with the person who rebuilt your machine and/or contact OneCare support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, April 25, 2008 2:25 PM