none
Route Plan Using "Waypoints" or "Via's" versus "Stops" in Streets & Trips 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• When planning a route from Start to End how can one enter towns and other places along the way that do not result in detailed, and often convoluted, directions to enter the town or place and then return to the route?

For example, I'd like a route from, say, Seattle to Phoenix.  I don't know or care about which places to stop to eat, sleep, rest, fuel up.  However, I do know that I want to go by way of Chehalis, WA, Redding, Bakersfield, Needles, CA, Parker, Quartzsite, Phoenix, AZ.  That said, I don't necessarily want to go into any of these towns.  I would like them to be noted on the route to track time and distance as I move along the highway.

I've used the on-screen map to select points on the highway but they result in various contortions in the written directions taking one off the highway and back on again.  

So, is there a way to designate a point on the highway, give it a name, and use it as a location through which one passes without detouring from the road?

Thanks,

• Edited by WindsorDave Monday, November 21, 2011 7:14 PM Typo
    Monday, November 21, 2011 7:13 PM

Answers

• Could not find "Avoid Area" in Help file

You are right.  I cannot find a reference in the Help file, either.  But this is how you do it.

Click and drag a rectangle on the map over the area you want to avoid.  Right-click on the rectangle and "Avoid area" will appear as a choice. Click on that.  However, I am not sure this is the best way to achieve your objective.

If you select, say, Redding, CA as a "Stop" in the Route planner, this will take you into the middle of Redding, which you may not want to do.  A yellow box representing a Stop will be placed in Redding, but if you drag it out to somewhere on the highway bypassing Redding, you will not be routed into and out of town again.  You can rename this Stop as something like "Near Redding" or "Bypassing Redding" by selecting the Stop in the Route planning panel on the left and right-clicking on that to find the Renaming option.  Note that you do not actually have to come to a full halt at these "Stops", they are really waypoints unless you enter some stop-time parameters.

• Marked as answer by WindsorDave Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:25 PM

All replies

• I want to go by way of Chehalis, WA, Redding, Bakersfield, Needles, CA, Parker, Quartzsite, Phoenix, AZ.  That said, I don't necessarily want to go into any of these towns.

Dave, consider using the "Avoid Area" feature to modify your route.

is there a way to designate a point on the highway, give it a name, and use it as a location through which one passes without detouring from the road?

After your route has been set, then you could place a stop (or stops) along the existing route. Stops in recent S&T versions can be renamed in the Route Planner

Laptop GPS World
    Monday, November 21, 2011 11:21 PM
  • I want to go by way of Chehalis, WA, Redding, Bakersfield, Needles, CA, Parker, Quartzsite, Phoenix, AZ.  That said, I don't necessarily want to go into any of these towns.

Dave, consider using the "Avoid Area" feature to modify your route.

Could not find "Avoid Area" in Help file

is there a way to designate a point on the highway, give it a name, and use it as a location through which one passes without detouring from the road?

After your route has been set, then you could place a stop (or stops) along the existing route. Stops in recent S&T versions can be renamed in the Route Planner

As mentioned in the original question - when I do that it thinks I want to stop there and gives a set of instructions to maneuver to/around/about that point thus cluttering up the overall list of instructions.

Thanks for the response.  Am continuing to experiment.

Laptop GPS World

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:37 PM
  • Could not find "Avoid Area" in Help file

You are right.  I cannot find a reference in the Help file, either.  But this is how you do it.

Click and drag a rectangle on the map over the area you want to avoid.  Right-click on the rectangle and "Avoid area" will appear as a choice. Click on that.  However, I am not sure this is the best way to achieve your objective.

If you select, say, Redding, CA as a "Stop" in the Route planner, this will take you into the middle of Redding, which you may not want to do.  A yellow box representing a Stop will be placed in Redding, but if you drag it out to somewhere on the highway bypassing Redding, you will not be routed into and out of town again.  You can rename this Stop as something like "Near Redding" or "Bypassing Redding" by selecting the Stop in the Route planning panel on the left and right-clicking on that to find the Renaming option.  Note that you do not actually have to come to a full halt at these "Stops", they are really waypoints unless you enter some stop-time parameters.

• Marked as answer by WindsorDave Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Thanks, Guys. 

Philip, you were right.  Not only does it not route you into the town or place, it automatically changes the name from, for example, "Redding" to "Near Redding".  I was having trouble dragging the "Stop" because I did not realize the degree of precision required in locating the pointer before pressing the left-click button.  Therefore I was not actually selecting the "Stop".  I was just moving the map around with the "hand" tool.

Now, is there a handy way to move multiple places on to the route, en masse?  Say I search for all of the rest areas along the route and want them to be prominently displayed.  The "Search" function finds them OK but when moved to the route as a group, the rest area icons do not appear on the map.

Thanks again for the help.

Dave

• Edited by WindsorDave Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:04 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:02 PM
  • First, Dave, I am happy to help especially with posters like you who acknowledge the comments! (Not everyone does.)

One caution on dragging a Stop as we have been discussing:  the automatic name change may produce something that is not helpful.  For instance depending on where you drag the Redding stop example, you could get something like "near Enterprise" as the automatic rename which may not be ultra-helpful to you.  However, you can always go in and rename the Stop to your preference. 

With regard to dropping in batches of Stops, there is no super-easy straightforward way of doing that, although it would be a good feature to have.  However, there are some alternatives and work-arounds. 

The first thing I would recommend is to us the "Find nearby places" feature of S&T.  make sure the "Categories" for things that interest you are active in the Find nearby places panel on the left.  Then, at the bottom of that panel sort the "nearby places" according to your needs.  For instance, if you need a hotel somewhere after by-passing Redding, highlight the driving direction for that segment and search at the bottom of the Find nearby places panel around "Selected driving instruction", having already activated the Hotels and motels category, and then click on "Refresh."  I set the Search distance to 0.6 miles which yielded 95 hotels and motels on the 161-mile segment after "Near Redding."

But the built-in "nearby places" may not include everything you want.  However, you can build your own inventory of interesting places using the Pushpins combined with publicly-available data bases.  A good place to find such data bases is www.poi-factory.com where signed-in members (it's free) can download data bases that can be converted to pushpin sets in S&T.  Besides many commercial enterprises, there are data bases for things like state parks and rest areas.  Once those things that interest you are in pushpin sets, they can be found in addition to the "nearby places" as described above.

Finally, over on Marvin's forum - http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/ there is a free download of a huge S&T file http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/2595-poi-mega-file-pushpin-collections-truckers-rvers-other-travelers that has thousands of pushpins.  Unfortunately, I think only the S&T2011 version is downloadable now.  But that does not mean you cannot access it; it just requires a little more work.  First, go to the Microsoft website and download a free 60-day trial of the S&T 2011 and install it, but taking care not to uninstall you S&T 2010.  When that is done, download the POI Mega file from above into your trial S&T2011.  Open your S&T2010 in another window (without closing the window containing S&T 2011) and then copy and paste the pushpin sets that interest you from 2011 to 2010 and save the file in S&T 2010.  Note that files saved in 2011 cannot be opened in 2010, although the reverse is possible.   Now copy those sets of interest to your Seattle-to-Phoenix file and do a nearby search as above.

Sorry, I know this is a lot to digest but it could be helpful in planning your trip, which is what this product is all about.  Good luck! 

Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Thanks for the additional info, Philip.  I should have declared at the outset that I'm using Streets & Trips 2011.

Will check out Marvin's site.  I've signed up on POI Factory too. 

Have discovered the software's predilection for selecting the nearest "near" when moving the waypoint around.  Fortunately the map is detailed enough to help you see what's happened thus presenting a clear image of what can be done to modify/fix change in location.

Am afraid that this is becoming a slippery slope.  Since the decision was made to move away from the Lowrance iWay 500c GPS, it's been downhill.  First it was the Garmin nuvi 3750, now it's Streets & Trips to try and recapture some of the iWay functionality.  Yesterday I ordered a Rand-McNally RVDN 7710 for its larger display and RV-centric profile.  Fortunately, at least so far, I've resisted the temptation of the Black Friday ads for cheap, slick, new laptops to dedicate to Streets & Trips.

Thanks again for all your help.

Best,

Thursday, November 24, 2011 5:39 PM