Replacement WHS 2011 Disks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.

I have just spent a few days being 'entertained' by Microsoft telephone customer support. I am running WHS2011 and I have been running it ever since it came out. Due to an intermittent fault in my MB. I want to transfer it to an other computer. It seems that since I stored the receipt with the disks, which has been lost, that I am now "Up The Creek".

Has anybody got any suggestions as how to proceed?

(Other than "Customer Support")  :-(

Regards

Great Dane.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 7:32 PM

Answers

• When you say 'intermittent' I assume that your server is up and running for some time.

If so I would first retrieve my lIcense key with a tool such as 'Belarc Advisor' or similar. There are many more and most are free for personal use.

Next I would install the system hard disk in the new hardware and boot. This will most likely display some error messages but it will eventually boot. After that you can install the required drivers for network, graphics and so on.

And now the most painful: you will need to re-activate with Microsoft but this shouldn't be too much of a problem with your license key at hand.

Luc.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Sunday, February 8, 2015 3:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:26 AM
    Saturday, January 31, 2015 1:42 PM
  • I thought the question was about not having the installation disks (see title) and the missing receipt was to prove he had purchased them? If that's the case, he/she may well be out of luck!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Saturday, January 31, 2015 3:15 PM
    Saturday, January 31, 2015 3:14 PM

All replies

• When you say 'intermittent' I assume that your server is up and running for some time.

If so I would first retrieve my lIcense key with a tool such as 'Belarc Advisor' or similar. There are many more and most are free for personal use.

Next I would install the system hard disk in the new hardware and boot. This will most likely display some error messages but it will eventually boot. After that you can install the required drivers for network, graphics and so on.

And now the most painful: you will need to re-activate with Microsoft but this shouldn't be too much of a problem with your license key at hand.

Luc.

Saturday, January 31, 2015 1:42 PM
  • I thought the question was about not having the installation disks (see title) and the missing receipt was to prove he had purchased them? If that's the case, he/she may well be out of luck!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Saturday, January 31, 2015 3:15 PM
    Saturday, January 31, 2015 3:14 PM
  • That may be the only way to get it transferred. I will try and clone the drive and see if it will work

Though, one would think that the fact it had been running since I bought it, and that the key is valid. (Yes, I supplied the serial and the key to the "windows support" people, they confirmed it was valid, so I can't see the problem.

Excuse me for carrying on, but I am extremely upset with the "quality" of their "customer service".

Finn

Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:02 AM
  • You might be able to find an image of the installation media through torrent? I mean, if you are a legit owner of WHS2011 and have the codes then I can imagine that that would be alright?

• Edited by Umfriend Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:31 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:31 AM