Media Files from other computers in Vail's library? RRS feed

• Question

• I don't want to transfer 2TB of data to evaluate a product that's in quite a shaky beta stage. How do I put all the music, movies and recorded tv into Vail's library?
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 5:22 AM

All replies

• You copy it. Vail can't stream media that's not available locally.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Sunday, July 11, 2010 4:27 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by abuttino Sunday, July 11, 2010 4:28 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by abuttino Sunday, July 11, 2010 4:28 PM
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 12:28 PM
  • There has to be some sort of other unsupported way. Junctions?
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Junction points are for folders, only work with local file systems, and are deprecated in favor of symbolic links. Symbolic links work with remote file systems, and can be used to link individual files. They aren't supported, for sure, but you can give it a try. I'd be interested to hear the results. (Not enough to try it myself, though, TBH.)
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 7:49 PM
  • Well, this unfortunately makes Vail a no-go for my network topology. I just don't understand why MS chose to give the middle finger to the native library that they created. This seems like a step backwards for the whole home server project.

I'll explain my network topology in a minute.

I just wanted to use the feature of media streaming, having my 2TB library on another computer. Not wanting to move it over or buy new hard drives for this platform and duplicate the whole darn thing

My current network topology goes way beyond any average home, it consists of domain controllers, exchange servers, a sharepoint server, web server and a TMG. I finally got this perfect and there is no way that the network is going to change.

Vail seems like a great idea but feel that it probably is going to be wrong for placement in my home. So very sorry to hear that because the idea of streaming media is just kick-a$$

Please don't mark any posts as answered until I get the answer to my original question. Even with a "hack" this must be possible.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 3:03 AM
  • If you have an enterprise-class network already, why the heck do you need WHS?  (serious question)
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 4:40 AM
  • Media Streaming, DLNA, Backup solution.

Looks like I may be doing streaming over silverlight and SharePoint if I can't get this figured out

Sunday, July 11, 2010 4:58 AM
  • iSCSI seems to be the answer. I can't believe nobody suggested that after reading through this thread and seeing what the topology of my network is..
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:50 AM
  • iSCSI wasn't suggested because:

• any disk you add to server storage will be formatted, which you probably don't want to do because it will destroy any data already on it, 
    • Vail requires data that it's streaming to be in server storage,
    • you say nothing about having the infrastructure to support high performance iSCSI (i.e. a separate network),
    • Vail doesn't currently support multiple NICs anyway (though that may change in future builds)...

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:58 AM
  • Well, guess I am back to the drawing board. I mean c'mon. Why would I want to keep all my info on Windows Home Server all the time anyway? NAS? That's not uncommon among people with large amounts of storage these days anyway...

This limitation, if cannot be avoided, stands in the way of me recommending it to clients. Might as well go with unRaid and call it a day to find another software for media streaming.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:24 PM
  • Well, guess I am back to the drawing board. I mean c'mon. Why would I want to keep all my info on Windows Home Server all the time anyway? NAS? That's not uncommon among people with large amounts of storage these days anyway...

You answer your own question. Four years ago, I had 2 NAS devices and multiple USB drives for backing everything up. Today, I still have one of those NAS devices, but all it does for me these days is function as a WINS/DNS server. I've eliminated a not-so-small pile of external storage for backups and reduced local storage on all computers as I've replaced them, consolidating storage into my Windows Home Server computer and taking one backup off-site instead of several.

In other words, I'm not streaming from 6 devices any more, I'm streaming from two: Windows Home Server and a Media Center PC. What's not to like about that?

But at the end of the day you'll make your own decisions. Windows Home Server isn't for everyone; if you need an enterprise network architecture in your home, possibly it isn't for you.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:51 PM
  • The "Need" is because I am trying to learn it and learn it well. Can't do that unless I am totally immersed in it.

Vails' need to format any drive that gets inserted is a little off, I mean, how could I recover data off that hard drive if Vail wants to format it?

If anything, I'll probably dedicate a separate partition to it on the separate machine and let it format it when it gets mounted to iSCSI.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/cee7ee9b-ec6c-4c60-adb2-621797b26d9b

As far as I have read, Vail is compatible with the iSCSI technology, and it does have the iSCSI Initiator in it.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:05 PM
  • You can mount iSCSI volumes and use them in server storage, yes. However, iSCSI performance is mediocre (at best) in a shared network environment. I don't recommend it for home use, unless you're planning to install a SAN in your house.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:43 PM
  • Exactly what I am planning now.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Media Streaming, DLNA, Backup solution.

Looks like I may be doing streaming over silverlight and SharePoint if I can't get this figured out

There are at least a dozen media streamer / DLNA server apps on the market, most of them far cheaper (and more full featured) than WHS.

Nobody else has a backup solution quite as slick as WHS, but unless you've already been spoiled by the ultra-streamlined workflow, you probably won't miss it by using Ghost/DriveImage or even the backup tools built into Vista & Win7.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 9:20 PM