Can dial-in, but it can't connect me to the conference after accepting Conference ID and passcode RRS feed

• Question

• I've been putting a mediation server into our production environment today, and things are going okay. Our main goal is to get Dial-In conferencing working, and I've got it setup so that I can dial into the conferencing answering service, and it asks for the conference ID (and the passcode if i set up the conference with a passcode). The fact that it knows whether or not there is a passcode makes me think things are more or less working in the guts of this thing. However, after I punch in the passcode, the woman's voice says it is trying to connect me to my conference, and the responds with,

"sorry, but i can't seem to connect you to your conference right now. please try your call again later. goodbye."

this is all it gives me. I never experienced this in my test environment. how do i even begin troubleshooting this? has anyone else seen this?
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:51 PM

Answers

• Regardless of how you configure the default gateways having two NICs on a Mediation Server in the same subnet is not supported and will cause call routing problems.

Check this blog article for more details: http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=55

In your scenario you should use a single NIC and IP Address for communications with both the Media Gateway and OCS Front-End.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by paulbrown83 Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:43 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:10 PM

All replies

• Things to check are the event logs on the Front ends for MCU errors and to make sure you are passing DTMF through to the front end also and they are correct. Also ensure all your services are running (sounds obvious but you never know). I have had troubles with load balancers causing conferencing issues if not setup correctly. To get to the root of your issue you will need to provide a little more info on your setup. What version are you using SE or EE? Load balancer type? Medaition server point at directors or pool? etc. I may not be able to give you your answer but there are plenty of smart guys reading the forums that might if you give them some more info.

Cheers
    Chris

http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Well, I have changed around some things and it seems to be working now. I have a mediation server with 2 NICs (1 for OCS communication, and 1 for PSTN gateway communication), and they are on the same subnet. I was mis-reading the windows warning about assigning the same default gateway to both NICs. the server was not communicating on both NICs until I gave them both the same gateway (I had left one blank and filled in the other). I'm actually not sure how it would have worked at all with one NIC not communicating, but I am almost certain that is the only thing I changed.

I am now having outgoing calling problems, but I will open another thread if it comes to that point. Thanks.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:29 PM
  • Regardless of how you configure the default gateways having two NICs on a Mediation Server in the same subnet is not supported and will cause call routing problems.

Check this blog article for more details: http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=55

In your scenario you should use a single NIC and IP Address for communications with both the Media Gateway and OCS Front-End.
    • Marked as answer by paulbrown83 Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:43 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:10 PM
  • That seems to have fixed my dial-out issues too. I could not find that info in the Microsoft documentation, so thanks for the tip, Jeff.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:44 PM
  • BTW, did you happen to change the certificate on the Front-End server when resolving your Dial-In Conferencing issues?  I've just run into the same exact problem as your original post ("sorry, but I can't seem to connect...") and it ended up being caused by the certificate on the Front-End server.  It was issued by a Windows 2008 CA that used sha256 for the signing algorthym; once we replaced it with a new cert using SHA1 then audio conferencing started to operate normally.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:49 PM
  • Jeff, I did not change any cert settings. I just have the one cert I made a few days ago, and it's still assigned. It was created with a server 2003 CA with pretty much all the default options.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:36 PM
  • I had the same problem but a little different set up hovewer, chaning cert like Jeff said solved the problem! Thanks

Look in this blog post for my details
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:40 PM