Networking Windows Home Server for access from the LAN and Internet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I am new to these forums but have read with interest a lot of the posts and their responses from MVP's. However whilst the subject I am enquiring about has been raised in these forums it has not answered my specific questions. So here goes.

I have two DSL connections to the internet each with their own router and currently completely seperate from each other on my LAN. One (DSL1) has a dynamic IP from the ISP and set up as NAT with my LAN on the other side and the other(DSL2) a block of 8 static IP addresses with the router set up as No NAT.
    The latter (DSL2) I use to be able to access my FTP site and website currently a Server 2003 virtual machine.

I intend scrapping this setup and using WHS to cut down on power usage by reducing the number of servers running at home.

The WHS box is dual homed server with two NICS. One using a fixed IP address of the block of 8 and connected to the router on DSL2. The other NIC is set for DHCP and receives a dynamic IP address from the second router on DSL1 which forms the private IP address range from my LAN.

This has been working OK and I was able to remote access into WHS via the router on DSL2 which I has been configured with UPNP and port forwarding.
    Since PP2 has downloaded and installed I have lost remote access. I have read in several threads that WHS does not support dual homing but it has been working until now.
    I want to put a public website on WHS which is directly accessible from the web using my own domain name which is currently hosted by the same ISP who provideds my DSL circuits hence the need for a static IP address.

Is it possible to use a private domain name rather than the Windows Live domain, and how can I set up WHS so that it is accessible from the web but also accessible from my LAN so that my Media Centre PCs can see it.
    Many thanks
    Fozzie
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 6:23 PM

Answers

• Yes you can use your own private domain name. Whatever your registrar is, you need to get your nameserver to set to your external IP. Then your router needs to port forward to your WHS machine.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fozzy Bear Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:29 AM
    Monday, April 6, 2009 8:41 AM
  • Once I have pointed the nameserver to my routers IP address, do I then have to purchase and install an SSL certificate with my private domain name to resolve the certificate error??
    Yes, or you can simply use the homeserver.com domain and the free certificate that Microsoft supplies.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:44 PM

All replies

• Yes you can use your own private domain name. Whatever your registrar is, you need to get your nameserver to set to your external IP. Then your router needs to port forward to your WHS machine.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 8:41 AM
  • Many thanks Evaders99,
    Have now resolved dual homed issue by giving WHS a fixed IP address on the LAN and entering the external routers gateway address in the LAN TCP/IP settings. I got the normal warning messages about having dual gateways and gateway on a different subnet but ignored these and can now access WHS from the internet by browsing to the router IP address. The only problem I have now is the certificate error warning in the browser of the PC accessing fromthe internet.

Once I have pointed the nameserver to my routers IP address, do I then have to purchase and install an SSL certificate with my private domain name to resolve the certificate error??

regards
    Fozzie
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Once I have pointed the nameserver to my routers IP address, do I then have to purchase and install an SSL certificate with my private domain name to resolve the certificate error??
    Yes, or you can simply use the homeserver.com domain and the free certificate that Microsoft supplies.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:44 PM