RDC Session RRS feed

• Question

• When I remote in to my server and start a session of something on the server...it could be anything, but in this case I have a VirtualBox - VM of XP running.  Everything works flawless, but if I leave my pc or shut it down (the pc that I've remoted in from) I lose my sessions on the server.  It doesn't happen instantly, because If I join back soon (not sure of how long) everything is still running.  Any idea how I can keep things running on the server even when I'm not remoted in to the server?  TIA

Friday, September 30, 2011 9:39 PM

All replies

• Use a different remote control tool like VNC.
    qts
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 12:29 AM
  • How are you remoting in? Are you connecting to the WHS host via RDP? If so, how are you disconnecting? If you're just closing the window, then programs such as a VM should still keep running. The only thing I can suggest is checking the Event Viewer of the WHS host and also the Event Viewer of the XP VM.
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 1:12 AM
  • Well it seems I lose this due to server updates and it reboots.  Is there anyway I can have the server not reboot on an update?
    Friday, October 21, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Well it seems I lose this due to server updates and it reboots.  Is there anyway I can have the server not reboot on an update?

No. Many updates need to change operating system files, or other files, while they're in use and locked. The only way to do this is during a reboot.

If I'm understanding your original problem correctly, though, you start a remote desktop session with your server, disconnect from it, and at some later time that session is terminated? This is common behavior for Terminal Services; there is a timeout which can be set for idle or disconnected sessions. I'm pretty sure that Microsoft has set a default, as the dashboard is a remote app. It's possible to change this setting, but I would recommend not doing so. If you disable the timeout it's possible to leave your server in a state where it's no longer possible to connect remotely at all.

Instead look into a virtualization solution which will allow you to set a VM to run when the host starts up. That way your XP guest will be able to start with your server, which (I think) is what you want.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 21, 2011 1:36 PM
  • Instead look into a virtualization solution which will allow you to set a VM to run when the host starts up. That way your XP guest will be able to start with your server, which (I think) is what you want.

Doing that now...thanks sir'post'alot ; )
    Friday, October 21, 2011 4:56 PM
  • I must, of course, mention that this is an "unsupported" use of your server. :)
    Friday, October 21, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Joesep, I would be interested in hearing more specifics about your VM solution.

• Product(s) used
    • Challenges 
    • etc.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 6:55 PM