I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY A MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE THAT MY WINDOWS HAS BEEN ACTIVATED TOO MANY TIMES RRS feed

• Question

• All of a sudden after multiple installations on multiple hardware platforms [only ever 1 PC at a time] I have been told that I have activated my key too many times. Firstly I was not aware that there is a limit on the number of activations with a Retail copy of Windows 7. I explained to the Microsoft employee that I had had the DVD, case & C.O.A. of the Signature Edition of Windows 7 Ultimate since September 2009, before any versions of Windows 7 were even released to the public on October 16, 2009, and that whenever it was necessary to re-activate my PC after hardware upgrades/changes/crashes there had not been a problem until this week. 

After a while for her to run whatever checks she ran, she informed me that my key was a genuine retail channel key, but it had been activated too many times, and that if I was sure that I had not given the key to anyone else,  that it was used only by me, that I had to go to microsoft.com/howtotell, clicki on <report counterfeit> and then click on <take action>. I replied that my software was not counterfeit, and she told me if I did what she told me to do, and sent an email outlining the circumstances, that I would be asked by Microsoft Technician to provide evidence [receipts for multiple hardware purchases etc] through email and that my issue would be able to be resolved, further she said here is a reference number for OUR conversation today...have a nice day Sir, and thank you for using Microsoft products.

So I log into the given url, click on <Report Counterfeit> and of course, there's no <Take Action> button to click,  so I figure I will fill in the form in the hope of finding the link.....nope 3 pages later and we're at the bit where the ONLY option to proceed is entering information for : where you bought it from, off whom, address, how much, did you ask if it was counterfeit, did the seller say it was genuine....so this is my next port of call - the Microsoft forums and hope some Microsoft V/P or some such thing sees fit to offer me a correct link to either a webpage or more hopefully, a human that will deal with this problem....they didn't mind my key when they upgraded the PC a few weeks ago to Windows 10....P.O.S. that it is, but once I realised I could not send mail in my Office 2010 Outlook, and that my Norton Internet Security Identity Safe software wouldn't work with Windows 10....that was it for me and I chose to revert to my Windows 7 operating system....and NOW this.

Really hoping for some assistance here....

===============

Friday, October 23, 2015 5:18 PM

Answers

• There really is nothing we can do for you in these forums - this forum is not (so far as I know) regularly monitored by any MS staffer, let alone a V/P :(

Your best bet is to get back on the phone to the Activation Centre and explain what's happened, and hope they can take it through the system.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Sunday, October 25, 2015 11:21 AM
  • You could of course post the diagnostic for your system here and we could take a look at it to confirm.  Follow these directions:

MGA Diagnostic Report:

To properly analyze and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the diagnostic report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop -http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

Once downloaded, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, after a short time, the Continue button will change to a Copy button.
    Click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your post.

One Issue Per Thread:

Most Activation and Validation issues look the same, on the surface, but can have many different causes and fixes. This is why we ask for a diagnostic report and this is also why we ask that you create your own thread for your issue (in other words, don't post your issue in another person's thread). 

It just becomes too complicated to try to troubleshoot multiple different issues in the same thread.

New to the Forums?

Note that if you are new to these forums, you may find that you are unable to post due to a restriction on the inclusion of links and pictures.
    Simply delete the only lines that contain links -  this will allow the remainder of the report to upload (and those lines are not generally critical to the report anyhow)

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Monday, October 26, 2015 9:57 PM

All replies

• There really is nothing we can do for you in these forums - this forum is not (so far as I know) regularly monitored by any MS staffer, let alone a V/P :(

Your best bet is to get back on the phone to the Activation Centre and explain what's happened, and hope they can take it through the system.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Sunday, October 25, 2015 11:21 AM
  • You could of course post the diagnostic for your system here and we could take a look at it to confirm.  Follow these directions:

MGA Diagnostic Report:

To properly analyze and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the diagnostic report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop -http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

Once downloaded, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, after a short time, the Continue button will change to a Copy button.
    Click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your post.

One Issue Per Thread:

Most Activation and Validation issues look the same, on the surface, but can have many different causes and fixes. This is why we ask for a diagnostic report and this is also why we ask that you create your own thread for your issue (in other words, don't post your issue in another person's thread). 

It just becomes too complicated to try to troubleshoot multiple different issues in the same thread.

New to the Forums?

Note that if you are new to these forums, you may find that you are unable to post due to a restriction on the inclusion of links and pictures.
    Simply delete the only lines that contain links -  this will allow the remainder of the report to upload (and those lines are not generally critical to the report anyhow)

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Monday, October 26, 2015 9:57 PM