Uninstalling other security software RRS feed

• Question

•  

Can I uninstall Windows Defender, Trend Antivirus, and Spybot now that I have subscribed to OneCare?
    Tuesday, December 25, 2007 5:16 PM

Answers

• Windows Defender will be disabled once Onecare is installed on your system so there is no need to uninstall it, however Trend Anti virus should be uninstalled before you install Onecare as Trend will cause conflicts with Onecare and by the way Onecare will tell you to uninstall before it can be installed. You can keep Spybot installed as long as you have the tea-timer disabled.  J.B.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 8:29 PM

All replies

• Windows Defender will be disabled once Onecare is installed on your system so there is no need to uninstall it, however Trend Anti virus should be uninstalled before you install Onecare as Trend will cause conflicts with Onecare and by the way Onecare will tell you to uninstall before it can be installed. You can keep Spybot installed as long as you have the tea-timer disabled.  J.B.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 8:29 PM
  • Thanks for the information.  If OneCare does give me the protection I need all in one package, do I really need to keep Spybot?  Honestly, I'd rather not use it if I don't have to because its always in the way with these endless bothersome notifications.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 2:14 AM
  • If you are getting notifications from Spybot, you have Tea-Timer installed and enabled, which does real time monitoring and protections. You will need to disable that. So, if you wish, go ahead and remove Spybot, too, but without Tea-Timer, it won't throw any notifications at you and you will need to update and run it manually as desired to scan for things that OneCare may have missed.

-steve

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 2:46 PM
  • Although I have WLOC installed I have two other Antispyware programs installed. I use them about once a week to scan my system for any gremlins that maybe lurking around. They do not have real time protection they just scan for nasties. Just remember that no one security program will protect you from everything . I use A2 Squared Free version and SUPERAntispyware Free version. Better safe than sorry I always say.  J.B.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 5:58 PM