ASUS M2N-MX motherboard problems RRS feed

• Question

• I installed WHS clean (new set of drives) on an ASUS M2N-MX motherboard, but some of the devices aren't recognized.  Unfortunately, the devices include the gigabit ethernet port and the SATA controller!  Downloading the latest drivers from ASUS for Windows Server 2003 didn't help - they refused to install because they couldn't find the hardware.  This motherboard worked fine under an XP setup, so it's not a hardware problem.

Here's the unidentified items listed in the Device Manager:

• "Other PCI Bridge Device"
    • "SM Bus Controller"
    • "Unknown Device"

Anyone else have a similar issue, or know how to resolve this?  The USB ports work just fine, so I can shuffle data in and out of the machine as needed.  Is there anything I should run to give a hardware information dump to the WHS folks?

Thanks!

Sunday, June 17, 2007 12:15 AM

All replies

• Try the latest drivers from nVIDIA themselves at:

If that doesn't work, you may need to contact nVIDIA and request assistance on how to install these on a Windows 2003 platform. Don't let them give you the "not supported" spiel, because as far as the driver platform goes, it shouldn't be too different from XP. It's just the driver setup routines preventing it.

Otherwise, grab WinRAR, extract out the file somewhere, and install the drivers by hand. I can give you more detailed instructions on how to do this trick.
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 1:32 AM
  • I do have the same motherboard. I do have a CD-ROM with drivers which works (after a few attempts). I also downloaded the drivers from the ASUS website. It was necessary to install the driver by hand. Then I did have an 100Mb connection. After reboot and rebooting my switch (?) I do have a 1Gb connection. Note that I'm still working with CTP version. Next week I do have some time for to try the RC version.

Sunday, June 17, 2007 7:16 PM