Backup cannot continue RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have an issue on one of my PCs running Windows Live OneCare 2.0.2500.14 (I just reinstalled it today).  This is a Windows XP sp2 machine.

I cannot get a backup to run.  The log for my tune up states that Backup is scheduled to run outside of Tuneup.  A manual full tuneup requests hangs at scanning the PC and (between 40 and 50%) and never gets to the backing up files part of things.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled based on comments here but still cannot get any success.  There seems to be zero support on the link fromthe pop-up - everything refers to a problematic externaldrive and that is not the case here.

Any thoughts?

Sunday, January 13, 2008 10:01 PM

Answers

•  Sakzilla wrote:

No I cannot run manually either.  The scan is as it is preparing to run the backup - it scans my system and hangs inthat percent range (always a little different).

This is separate from the virus scan, as that runs fine.  Also, the system tune up runs fine - just no back up performed.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know the cause of this, but contacting support would perhaps be your best bet -

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Monday, January 14, 2008 2:34 AM

All replies

• Can you run a backup manually outside on Tuneup? When you say that it hangs at 40% is that during the Tune-up while scanning for viruses and spyware?

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 10:56 PM
  • No I cannot run manually either.  The scan is as it is preparing to run the backup - it scans my system and hangs inthat percent range (always a little different).

This is separate from the virus scan, as that runs fine.  Also, the system tune up runs fine - just no back up performed.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 11:26 PM
  • Hello Sakilla:

I have experienced the same problem after I uninstalled the previous version of Windows Live OneCare to the cureent version (2.0).  Also, I have red criss-crossed lines in the fields where questions and links are supposed to be located.  This occurs (red lines) in my administrative account.  The "red lines" are not present in my "limited account."  I am very frustrated about this situation since I have spent almost $60.00 in order to download the software from Microsoft.

I wrote Microsoft Support yesterday, and their website's response was that I would receive an answer in 24-hours, but to no avail. 

Sincerely,

Famous21  

Monday, January 14, 2008 1:36 AM
  • Famous21, with it being the weekend, I suspect you will get a reply from support in the morning or overnight tonight. Be sure to check your junk mail folder.

-steve

Monday, January 14, 2008 2:33 AM
  •  Sakzilla wrote:

No I cannot run manually either.  The scan is as it is preparing to run the backup - it scans my system and hangs inthat percent range (always a little different).

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know the cause of this, but contacting support would perhaps be your best bet -

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Monday, January 14, 2008 2:34 AM
  • I ran the suppor tlog and am getting some "false" items that are probably related to this problem.  Just do not know what steps to take to remedy this.

Backup Configuration was completed successfully.
    Monitor Mode: False
    Local Backup Enabled: True
    Local Backup Device Type: external hard drive
    Categories selected: 4095
    Local Backup Frequency: Automatic, weekly
    Local Backup folders exclusion usage: False
    Local Backup Device Location: F:\
    Online Photo Backup Enabled: False
    Online Photo Backup folders exclusion usage: False
    Centralized Device Type:
    Centralized Device location:

This is what it shows for my backup on the support log.  I have rescheduled an automatic backup for tonight - we will see.
    Monday, January 14, 2008 2:36 AM
  • I don't know what monitor mode means, but the other "false" entries mean that you are not excluding any folders from you plan and you are not subscribed to the extra cost photo backup option.

-steve

Monday, January 14, 2008 7:33 PM
  • I have had the exact same problem.  Running XP/SP2 Onecare backup stops working at 48-51 %.  My computer totally hangs with the CD light blinking as though in a loop.  I cannot cancel backup (get message) and after several attempts have to use ctr-alt-del but shut down also hangs and finally have to hold down the power button.  What a mess.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:37 AM
  •  herling wrote:

I have had the exact same problem.  Running XP/SP2 Onecare backup stops working at 48-51 %.  My computer totally hangs with the CD light blinking as though in a loop.  I cannot cancel backup (get message) and after several attempts have to use ctr-alt-del but shut down also hangs and finally have to hold down the power button.  What a mess.

Please contact support for help with this -

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:33 PM
  • Hello Steve:

I never received a reply from support.  This is a very frustrating situation.  Please direct me to the appropriate source that will provide me a cd or dvd copy of WLOC software.  My account is scheduled to end January 10, 2009. My product number is nnnnnn.

famous21@msn.com

I had a different problem when I downloaded WLOC software January, 2007 and finally gave up and bought the retail version from the "Office Depot."  Thus, in effect I paid twice for the software.  Once online, and once at retail outlet.

Please advise.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:57 AM