Windows Home Server 2011 (WHS 2011) backup stuck on 1% and then fails on ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A (UEFI, EFI, GPT) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I cannot backup the laptop with Windows Home Server 2011. The backup is stuck on 1% for a long time and then it fails. I found on the Internet that it may be related to UEFI and GPT partitions. Backup is absolutely important for me. I have about 6 other computers at home and they work with WHS 2011.

Microsoft, please discuss it with Asus because I am considering returning the laptop. There is just no justification for the year 2011 product to not work with 2012 laptop. 

Thanks,
    Stan

Saturday, September 22, 2012 4:17 PM

Answers

• Ok, I converted my Zenbook hdd/ssd from UEFI/GPT to MBR. WHS 2011 works now. Here is an instruction for other WHS 2011 users:

1. Create factory restore DVD.

1a. Create 2-3 full disk sector-by-sector backups using different backup software! If the conversion procedure fails, you will need a way to return to the original hdd/sdd contents!!! Verify of the backups are valid. 

2. Backup the disk using Acronis True Image 2013.

3. Connect external DVD drive and start the WHS 2011 Client Disk (or WHS 2011 Setup). Shift+F10 when you see the 1st dialog to get to the Command Prompt.

4. Now, using the DISKPART: select laptop disk, CLEAN, CONVERT TO MBR, CREATE PRIMARY PARTITION, FORMAT with NTFS. You can find plenty details on the Internet of how to use DISKPART.

4a. Consider using full SSD for the System partition, or leave 4GB unused space (depends on installed memory) for Intel Rapid Start. 

5. Restore the System partition from Acronis TI 2013. The System partition ONLY. TI 2013 will also restore/recreate MBR. Use regular restore, not sector-by-sector. Reboot.

6. Now, WHS 2011 works correctly.

Here is an article describing how to recreate the Intel Rapid Start partition: Intel Rapid Start

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:57 AM
    • Edited by Stan2016 Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:58 PM Correction
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:43 AM

All replies

• If your laptop uses EFI boot, it also requires GPT for the partition table. Windows Home Server 2011 is not able to back this configuration up, or restore it.

For EFI boot computers, you need to use an alternative solution, at least for now. It's possible, but not guaranteed, that Microsoft will eventually address this in Windows Home Server 2011. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, September 22, 2012 7:32 PM
  • Given the laptop comes with an SSD, there is no reason why it needs to be formatted as a GPT partition. You could go back to MBR and reinstall. Note that WHS2011 is built on Server 2008 code - at that time there was no UEFI/GPT.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, September 22, 2012 11:49 PM
  • Given the laptop comes with an SSD, there is no reason why it needs to be formatted as a GPT partition. ...
    The Zenbook Prime comes with EFI enabled, so the HDD is pre-partitioned for EFI boot using GPT. It would be a huge amount of work to reformat, reinstall, etc., and it would likely require the purchase of another copy of Windows as a practical matter, since it's unlikely in the extreme that he got Windows installation media with it.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 1:47 AM
  • [[. It would be a huge amount of work to reformat, reinstall, etc.]] Yes, it is a new laptop.  Thanks for all answers.

MS is supposedly sitting on tons of money. How about a little of support for your own technology? I may sound bitter, but I spend a lot of money on technology and often get burned.

S.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 1:55 AM
  • ... How about a little of support for your own technology? ...

Microsoft would (probably) say that the use of EFI is a choice Asus made, and that when Windows Home Server 2011 (and related products) were developed there was minimal indication that EFI would enjoy significant market penetration. They would probably also say that lack of support for EFI and GPT in WHS 2011 is well-documented and it's up to the consumer to make informed decisions.

Personally, I think that would be short-sighted and self-serving on their part, but the bottom line is that when WHS 2011 was in development, there was minimal indication that EFI would enjoy any significant market penetration in the next few years. And that's actually true; there are relatively few computers shipping with EFI boot available and turned on from major manufacturers. But still, it would have been nice if they'd developed this enthusiast product for the technologies that enthusiasts are likely to want to use.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:58 PM
  • And of course, those of us on the sidelines note that Microsoft has deigned to fix this oversight for Windows Server 2012 Essentials. We can only hope that they will have the decency to retrofit this back into WHS 2011.

Although I'm not holding my breath.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 4:17 PM
  • Hi Stan.  As you've heard from the experts here, the status quo is that this isn't supported, and my gut feel is that it probably never will be in WHS 2011.  I agree it's an untennable situation, but it seems that Microsoft, like Apple, is running away from non-business enthusiast products these days.

If you do decide to keep the ZenBook, you can use Windows Backup to make full image + incremental backups, and if you have Windows 7 Pro, you can back up to a network volume on WHS.  If you upgrade to Windows 8 you can do this and also use File History to back up your Windows Libraries to a network folder. (Windows Backup still exists in Windows 8 but is hidden under "Windows 7 File Recovery"--search for this with Winkey-W.)

Sunday, September 23, 2012 11:22 PM
  • I wonder if it would be possible:

1. Backup the system volume,

2. Remove UEFI/GPT partitions,

3. Create old-type/MBR partition,

4. Restore the system volume from backup.

Is UEFI an option for Zenbook or requirement?

I may loose ability to restore factory state because it has a special partition, but WHS 2011 is more important.

S.

Monday, September 24, 2012 12:15 AM
  • Unfortunately, that's unlikely to work. I don't think EFI boot is a "requirement" in the sense you probably mean it, i.e. the motherboard is probably technically capable of booting via BIOS/MBR. However, it's unlikely that the boot loader will work on an MBR system, and it's unlikely that you'll be able to boot the manufacturer's recovery partition, without EFI boot. That means you'd have to figure out how to set the computer to boot via BIOS/MBR, and then you'd have to install a fresh copy of Windows.
    ... but WHS 2011 is more important.
    I disagree. Backing up your computer is more important; how you do so is immaterial as long as it works and isn't so inconvenient that you simply don't bother.

Monday, September 24, 2012 4:45 AM
  • Ok, I converted my Zenbook hdd/ssd from UEFI/GPT to MBR. WHS 2011 works now. Here is an instruction for other WHS 2011 users:

1. Create factory restore DVD.

1a. Create 2-3 full disk sector-by-sector backups using different backup software! If the conversion procedure fails, you will need a way to return to the original hdd/sdd contents!!! Verify of the backups are valid. 

2. Backup the disk using Acronis True Image 2013.

3. Connect external DVD drive and start the WHS 2011 Client Disk (or WHS 2011 Setup). Shift+F10 when you see the 1st dialog to get to the Command Prompt.

4. Now, using the DISKPART: select laptop disk, CLEAN, CONVERT TO MBR, CREATE PRIMARY PARTITION, FORMAT with NTFS. You can find plenty details on the Internet of how to use DISKPART.

4a. Consider using full SSD for the System partition, or leave 4GB unused space (depends on installed memory) for Intel Rapid Start. 

5. Restore the System partition from Acronis TI 2013. The System partition ONLY. TI 2013 will also restore/recreate MBR. Use regular restore, not sector-by-sector. Reboot.

6. Now, WHS 2011 works correctly.

Here is an article describing how to recreate the Intel Rapid Start partition: Intel Rapid Start

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:57 AM
    • Edited by Stan2016 Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:58 PM Correction
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:43 AM
  • The Hotfix worked for me.  I was getting the backup error on a Windows 8 desktop but the Windows 7 ones worked fine.

At first, I dindt think the Win8 machine had EFI or a GPT partition because it only had a 1TB drive.  I checked under disk management

and sure enough, it had a EFI partition and the hard drive was set as GPT.  I thought GPT was only for drives over 3TB but maybe Win8

is doing this by default now.  I downloaded the Hotfix on WHS2011 and it worked.  I didnt do any converting on the Win8 machine, only installed the hotfix on WHS2011.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 3:40 PM
  • The Hotfix worked for me.  I was getting the backup error on a Windows 8 desktop but the Windows 7 ones worked fine.

At first, I dindt think the Win8 machine had EFI or a GPT partition because it only had a 1TB drive.  I checked under disk management

and sure enough, it had a EFI partition and the hard drive was set as GPT.  I thought GPT was only for drives over 3TB but maybe Win8

is doing this by default now.  I downloaded the Hotfix on WHS2011 and it worked.  I didnt do any converting on the Win8 machine, only installed the hotfix on WHS2011.

which hotfix? and where do I get it :)
    Saturday, June 1, 2013 6:31 PM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, June 1, 2013 6:40 PM
  • tyvm.

how do I install it on server? im assuming that's were it goes.

Saturday, June 1, 2013 9:25 PM
  • Yes, on the Server. Not had the need to install it myself but expect you just follow the Microsoft instructions? You will probably need to RDP or log in locally to your Server Desktop and run from there.

Saturday, June 1, 2013 11:18 PM