Drag and Drop Folder RRS feed

• Question

• I did a drag and drop on a folder with photo.  I took 1/17/11 and drug it to my 2011 folder.  All the photos that were in the 1/17/11 are now missing.  What happened and can I get my photos back?
    • Moved by Calvin_Gao Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:15 AM Nothing to do with VB (From:Visual Basic Language)
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 8:31 PM

Answers

• The effect of the dropping is controlled by the code you have written in your application to process the drop action.  This code would typically copy or move  the files in the dropped list.   If there is no code, nothing will happen.  If you have dragged the folder from one folder in Explorer to another fodler in Explorer, then your application (and the code you have written) does not apply and the problem is simply a user error in dragging and dropping, or some odd behaviour in Explorer, which has nothing to do with VB. 
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 10:22 PM
  • Hi Jannie5,

How about the issue on your side? I think the photos in 1/17/11 folder have been hidden, so you can try to search one of your photos to find where they are.

I hope this will helpful.

Best Regards,

Calvin Gao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:22 AM

All replies

• What is the code that was executed when the folder was dropped on the application?  You should also consider that you may have accidentally dropped the files at some other location.
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 9:26 PM
  • I have one main folder titled 2011.  I had a separate folder entitled 1/27/11 with about 20 photos in this folder.  I wanted to put 1/27 into 2011 and did a drag and drop.  After this tranaction, when I click on 2011, 1/27/11 is there in 2011.  However, when I click on 1/27/11, there are no photos.  I probably should have copied and pasted, but I thought a drag and drop would take the folder and photos.  I have Windows 7.  There was no code involved.  This was a manual drag and drop. 

Sunday, February 6, 2011 10:10 PM
  • The effect of the dropping is controlled by the code you have written in your application to process the drop action.  This code would typically copy or move  the files in the dropped list.   If there is no code, nothing will happen.  If you have dragged the folder from one folder in Explorer to another fodler in Explorer, then your application (and the code you have written) does not apply and the problem is simply a user error in dragging and dropping, or some odd behaviour in Explorer, which has nothing to do with VB. 
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 10:22 PM
  • Hi Jannie5,

How about the issue on your side? I think the photos in 1/17/11 folder have been hidden, so you can try to search one of your photos to find where they are.

I hope this will helpful.

Best Regards,

Calvin Gao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:22 AM