Understanding Normalization RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All 

I have put in a couple of OCS deployments, everytime I use this product I find more quirks. One thing and I would like to be corrected if I say wrong things is because I am self taught. 

1. Having your numbers in Active DIrectory Set to E.164 format will cause less issues. (You will not have to play around with the company_phone_normalize_rule.txt file
    2. Active DIrectory will ONLY recognise E.164 numbers so the General Tab needs to be filled out correctly.
    3. Normailzation rules configured in OCS via the Voice Properties will only configure calls LEAVING OCS to the PABX
    4. Getting your Media gateway to look after inbound from PABX have outbound normalization done by OCS
    5. CX700 Phones will only work calling E.164 numbers (including Extension numbers) 

That's it so far happy to hear any feedback

Thanks 
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:26 AM

All replies

• Tim,

1. Definitely a simpler approach, but other applications and services that use the phone numbers may have problems with those numbers (for example I've seen mobile devices not get along with E.164 numbers in some cases).  But I would not do this in place of using ABS normalization rules as they are applied to more than just AD, number typed into the Find bar in OC and numbers pulled from Outlook contacts also are run through those normalization rules.  If using RCC then the ABS rules become even more important.
    2. Active Directory itself will recognize whatever numbers strings are entered, but how they appear in the OCS Address Book depends on how ABS normalization rules are configured in OCS.
    3. Not correct; OCS does not modify the ANI of the inbound call, but does for the DNIS so that if a gateway sends a call with an extension (something like 7500@sipdomain.com) to OCS if there are E.164 normalization rules then the string is turned into a full number (say +18885557500).
    4. Sorry, I don't understand this question.
    5. The Tanjay phones running Communicator Phone Edition will handle numbers in the same way that the standard Communicator client does, in that non E.164 normalized strings will not typically display in the client and thus not able to click-to-dial.

Take a look at these articles for more details on the Address Book normalization processes:
    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=17
    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=26

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:30 PM
  • Hi Jeff

Thanks for the response and my learnings so far have definatley come with the great articles you have written. I still have more learning to do ! 

Cheers 
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:06 PM