Bulk deletion taking its sweet little time (and not making the server happy) RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, 

We support (not on a hardware level, more in terms of customisations and user support) a customers CRM solution hosted with a 3rd party CRM hosting company, over weekend we were asked to import 35,000 leads into the system which we used data migration manager for (as there are lookup fields for custom entities so the built in import tool cant resolve correctly). 

As you know data migration manager doesnt check for duplicates and imports everything so long as it meets the column criteria. 

Yesterday I went on-site to go through the process of adding certain leads to a marketing list and then sending out a mass mail merge to them all, this is when I'm told that the list potentially contains a lot of duplicates!! (this would have been nice to know before hand).

We decided to go back to data migration manager and delete all the records created in the import the day earlier, then add certain duplicate rules and import them all using the built in import tool (leaving out the lookup fields - users can manually select these when promoting leads from the data brought in from the import to a temporary text field).

We started the bulk delete at arounf 13:00 yesterday and its still ongoing, plus the srever is timing out a little and basically behaving rather slow.

I understand the deletion process in CRM to an extent (it checks for relations and dependences) and that it can have an effect on performance but I'm at a loss as to why its taking so long (longer than the import) to delete all these records.

The records are simple, no dependences, only 2 lookup fields and around data fields. 

My question to the community is, do you think this hosting company needs to add more power/resources to this platform or is this behaving as would expect (I have enough experience with CRM in general, just not too much experience with masses of data and bulk jobs such as this to base an opinion on).

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:35 AM

Answers

• If it is taking much time, may be in between deletion somebody has started some services or may be the asynch service got stopped.

Sudhanshu

• Marked as answer by Paul A Jones Friday, January 21, 2011 12:27 PM
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 1:52 PM

All replies

• OK I have more to add,

On top of the deletion taking too long it seems its deleting more records than were entered, the full list contained  34581 leads and the deletion process has now deleted 38033 records (this is from the bulk deletions status page - its still ongoing). 

Any ideas on why this is the case? 

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 7:17 AM
  • If it is taking much time, may be in between deletion somebody has started some services or may be the asynch service got stopped.

Sudhanshu

• Marked as answer by Paul A Jones Friday, January 21, 2011 12:27 PM
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 1:52 PM