Can't Install WGA or Any of the Diagnostics MGA, etc. -- They Crash RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell laptop, Inspiron 8600. I am the original owner and have had it for several years. I have not had problems with it until late last summer when the Genuine Advantage notification auto install appeared. Since then, I get a notification everytime I booted up that my version of Windows XP Professional is not valid.

I went to the Microsoft Genuine web section and every time I tried to validate my XP, IE6 crashed with an error windows that said:

"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for this inconvenience."

I ignored this problem until I discovered that I am unable to download any new upgrades from Microsoft without validation. So last December I started an email with Microsoft support services Windows. A number of fix solutions were sent to me, but none worked. We went back and forth and was finally assigned an "escalation engineer" who basically had me try everything that had already not worked.

My Dell laptop runs fine. It runs XP Professional (pre-installed by Dell) and I have kept it up to date with all Windows updates, including SP2.

The only problem occurs around the Genuine Advantage tools. In the beginning of my journey to the "escalation engineer", I wrote that I suspected that the ultimate "advice" was going to be to re-install Windows from scratch, something that would cost me a lot of time and possibly lose data. Sure enough, after many emails back and forth, that was the sole suggestion.

I am hoping that someone on this Forum may have a better suggestion.

Here's some of the history and what the status is.

My Product Key, which Genuine Advantage won't recognize, was looked up by Support and reported as valid. I have used the utility to verify the key in my computer is the same as the one printed on the label. It is.

Because of the problems, error messages, etc. and lack of any solution, I have recently uninstalled everything to do with WGA -- this includes going into the Registry and removing every key that referenced it. (I, of course, backed up the Reigstry before changing it.)

That seems to have caused no harm, because I am not having any problems with my computer -- and I run some complicated programs like video and audio editing, graphics, etc.

I would however like to try to fix this solution. When I try to install the update for Windows Genuine Advantage Notification, everything chugs along, then I get  the white top/grey bottom window stating that:

"Windows Genuine Advantage Notification tool has encountered a problem and needs to close"

When I run the MGADiag.exe utility, I get a similar error message, that the Diagnostic utility has encountered an error and needs to close. When I try to run the validation from IE6, as I said, it prompts me to install the ActiveX program, which I accept and it then crashes IE with the error message:

"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for this inconvenience."

What could cause the WGA activex not to install?? I even turned off McAffee prior to installation and still got the error.??

Any ideas??

Sunday, May 6, 2007 2:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi At A DIS-Advantage,

I apologize, but this issue appears bigger then I can effectively troubleshoot on the forum and I would need to refer to our WGA support at https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?c1=509&gprid=9860 I'm hoping that the WGA Support agent has better luck at resolving your issue that the first agents, that you talked to.

Other then that, Dan at IT Associates may have some advise he can offer, as well.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

MGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------
    All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

--------------------------------------------------------

Monday, May 7, 2007 11:39 PM
  • At a DIS-Advantage,

You can certainly rule out viruses or other malware by doing several online scans at, say, Trend Micro and Symantec.  You can try using the sfc /scannow command in the Run box to have the System File Checker verify the integrity of essential system files.  Both of those actions can be done without any significant risk to installed programs or data.  An examination of the system and application log in Event Viewer migh shed some light on the error messages being produced by IE and WGA.

The only major suggestion that I could make given the limitations of the forum would be for you to do a repair reinstallation in accordance with http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341.  The fact that the installed Product Key matches the CoA Product Key is an indicator that a repair reinstallation may have already been done on this computer, because the PKs would not match if this were the installation of XP shipped from Dell.

Even though the repair reinstallation is designed to preserve user data and installed programs, it's still a good idea to back up first.  And since your XP is a manufacturer preinstallation, you'll want to make sure you follow the instructions to delete the Undo_guimode.txt file as described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312369/.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:18 PM
  • I have contacted support and they are trying to figure out what is wrong. Mainly they keep wanting me to take screen grabs of the error messages -- which I've done and sent them.

I also did the repair reinstallation suggested above (something I tried before and which did not resolve this problem).

However one thing I did do that had some benefit was the following:

I tried to validate my Windows via Firefox which does not validate Windows directly but sends me to a file called "legitcheck.hta" to download and run. I did and it crashed. But then...

I went to the System32 directory, found and renamed LegitCheckControl.DLL to LegitCheckControl.old and ran "legitcheck.hta" again. My copy of Windows was suddenly validated. MGADiag.exe also confirmed this validation (MGADiag.exe previously had only crashed).

I was able to download and install both IE7 and MediaPlayer 11.

However, when I ran the WGA_Notify tool, either the standalone version or the web-based version (on IE)which uses ActiveX plug-in, the validation failed -- and after doing so, MGADiag.exe began crashing again every time I used it.

No more valid Windows. However, I found that by deleting the file LegitCheckControl.DLL (or renaming it) and running legitcheck.hta again, my validation was restored and again validated.

Weird, huh? Clearly there is some problem with my computer and WGA_Notify. Any thoughts?

Sunday, May 27, 2007 6:33 PM