Hard Disk configuration in WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to the WHS world so this is a newbie question I'm sure.  I have WHS 2011 system loaded. I have four 1TB drives in this computer. The system loaded on a 60GB partition (C) on drive 0 and left an 871GB partition (D). The default shared folders are all on drive D.  I still drives E, F, and G each at 931GB of useable space but I'm not sure how to really use them.  I've read a couple threads saying RAID is not the answer.  What happens for example when my backups fill up drive D?  I have more space but I'm just not sure how to configure this and didn't see anything in the WHS Product Guide. Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:22 PM

Answers

• Kent

If you use the Dashboard and look at the Disks & Folders Tab, there is access to a Wizard that allows you to change the location of the Shared Folders. This allows you to manually balance your data across a number of Disks. This is unlike WHS1 which had Drive Extender which did this automatically.

Phil

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:32 PM

All replies

• Kent

If you use the Dashboard and look at the Disks & Folders Tab, there is access to a Wizard that allows you to change the location of the Shared Folders. This allows you to manually balance your data across a number of Disks. This is unlike WHS1 which had Drive Extender which did this automatically.

Phil

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:32 PM
  • I am new to the WHS world so this is a newbie question I'm sure.  I have WHS 2011 system loaded. I have four 1TB drives in this computer. The system loaded on a 60GB partition (C) on drive 0 and left an 871GB partition (D). The default shared folders are all on drive D.  I still drives E, F, and G each at 931GB of useable space but I'm not sure how to really use them.  I've read a couple threads saying RAID is not the answer.  What happens for example when my backups fill up drive D?  I have more space but I'm just not sure how to configure this and didn't see anything in the WHS Product Guide. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Here's what I did (have similar disk layout). I used software mirroring (supported by Windows Server 2008 R2) to mirror two of my 1 TB drives and moved all the shared folders there. Then I used the Windows Server Backup tool to create a scheduled backup of the server to the remaining 1 TB drive. Now you data protection for your shared folders as well as complete backups of everything.
    Stuart
    Monday, June 13, 2011 9:30 PM