Help with Windows Live OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• I had Windows Live OneCare on my old laptop (Compaq) running Windows XP and now I have a new laptop (Toshiba) running Windows Vista Home Premium.  I have tried to install Live OneCare on the new PC and the install seems to go to normal completion, but when I try to start the program, it stops and I can not do anything.  Can anyone tell me what to do?  I purchased the program from a retailer and got the product key, but the OneCare never goes to the point to ask me to enter the product key.  I tried looking at the help and it says something that I need to register it to get a product ID.  I can not get to the point to register the program.  So what am I to do?  

Saturday, May 10, 2008 4:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Uninstall One Care then run the install cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2  Go to  - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm and download the 90 day trial. After One Care is installed open it and use the subscribe button. Follow the prompts and when you are asked for payment method select "Pre-paid PIN". Enter your 25 digit product key and your subscription should activate.

Saturday, May 10, 2008 5:05 PM
  • how do i to get windows live onecare working?
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 5:40 PM
  • Is there a One Care icon in the notification area? What color is the icon if present? If the icon is present can you open One Care and see what action to take is recommended?

Saturday, May 10, 2008 6:01 PM
  • OneCare icon never showed in the notification area.

Monday, May 12, 2008 7:01 AM
  • I went and downloaded the CleanUp tool and when I executed the cleanup it stated that I must be an administrator in order for me to run the program.. How can I be an administrator, if  I can not get OneCare to come up.?

Monday, May 12, 2008 7:03 AM
  • Right click the cleanup tool and select "Run As Administrator".

Monday, May 12, 2008 12:25 PM
  •  Brucet21 wrote:

I had Windows Live OneCare on my old laptop (Compaq) running Windows XP and now I have a new laptop (Toshiba) running Windows Vista Home Premium.  I have tried to install Live OneCare on the new PC and the install seems to go to normal completion, but when I try to start the program, it stops and I can not do anything.  Can anyone tell me what to do?  I purchased the program from a retailer and got the product key, but the OneCare never goes to the point to ask me to enter the product key.  I tried looking at the help and it says something that I need to register it to get a product ID.  I can not get to the point to register the program.  So what am I to do?  

On the old laptop, is OneCare a trial copy or did you activate it and subscribe? If you have a subscription, created with the retail key from the package you also used to install to the new PC, you don't activate with the key, you must use the same Live ID you used to subscribe originally as you cannot use the same key twice.

If OneCare does not start after installation, I would verify that there is no other security software installed. A new PC may have come with Norton or McAfee pre-installed. These would need to be removed first.

-steve

Monday, May 12, 2008 2:00 PM
  •  juniorluna@q.com wrote:
    how do i to get windows live onecare working?

I think we could use some more detail on your problem. Was OneCare just installed? Did it ever work? Do you get any error messages? Is there an icon in the system tray for OneCare?

-steve

Monday, May 12, 2008 2:01 PM
  •  JimR1 wrote:
    Uninstall One Care then run the install cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2  Go to  - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm and download the 90 day trial. After One Care is installed open it and use the subscribe button. Follow the prompts and when you are asked for payment method select "Pre-paid PIN". Enter your 25 digit product key and your subscription should activate.

I did the above and still no progress.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:51 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:
     Brucet21 wrote:

I had Windows Live OneCare on my old laptop (Compaq) running Windows XP and now I have a new laptop (Toshiba) running Windows Vista Home Premium.  I have tried to install Live OneCare on the new PC and the install seems to go to normal completion, but when I try to start the program, it stops and I can not do anything.  Can anyone tell me what to do?  I purchased the program from a retailer and got the product key, but the OneCare never goes to the point to ask me to enter the product key.  I tried looking at the help and it says something that I need to register it to get a product ID.  I can not get to the point to register the program.  So what am I to do?  

On the old laptop, is OneCare a trial copy or did you activate it and subscribe? If you have a subscription, created with the retail key from the package you also used to install to the new PC, you don't activate with the key, you must use the same Live ID you used to subscribe originally as you cannot use the same key twice.

If OneCare does not start after installation, I would verify that there is no other security software installed. A new PC may have come with Norton or McAfee pre-installed. These would need to be removed first.

-steve

The Old computer had a retail purchased copy installed on it.. It was activated and subscribed.  The old laptop had Microsoft XP and the new one has Microsoft Vista Premium Home Ed.  Microsoft Live OneCare CAN NOT install on the new laptop.  The install goes to normal completion, but when I open MicroSoft Live OneCare, it stops and terminates.  I can not do a thing with it.. Any suggestions.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:57 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:
     Brucet21 wrote:

-steve

I had Norton on it and I got it completely removed.  After it was removed uninstalled OneCare and ran the Cleanup tool, rebooted the laptop and reinstalled OneCare.. still no progress made..

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:00 AM
  • Have a look at this post - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523777&SiteID=2

Based on your posts, it appears that you are installing OneCare on the new PC and then rebooting the PC, but OneCare fails to appear and no errors from OneCare appear either. I assume that the Windows Security Center is showing a red icon indicating that your security is off, yes?

If you continue to have problems with installing OneCare on the new PC, you can contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:57 AM