A question to those who already have a career in the IT field. RRS feed

• Question

• I've been looking at all the certifications that microsoft had to offer. Im not sure what it is in IT that I would like to do.
    I would like to talk to someone that can give me some insight in which direction I must go to get myself into this career.

I've been using a computer most of my life, and now I want to make it a type of job.

Which of the certifications would benefit me, what other courses other than A+, Network+ and Server+ do I need?

Looking forward to some good advice. Thanks in advance.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 9:34 PM

Answers

• The three CompTIA courses you noted will give you a foundation on knowing/uderstanding the hardware side.  If you're looking to move towards a destop or network administrator, look at some of the Microsoft certifications for Vista and Server 2008.  Much depends upon where your current interests and skills lie, and if you want to specialize in a partcular area (Server 2008, Exchange, SharePoint Server, etc.)
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:14 PM
    Answerer
  • I have to say that I didn't really know where to start, so I started at the bottom and am working my way up.

If you want to work in a corporate environment as a helpdesk individual, then an ideal start is MCITP - Enterprise Support Technician

It consists of 2 exams and you can get fairly cheap Microsoft press books with test exams to point you in the right direction. I found it a very good starting point and am now working towards MCITP Enterprise Administrator

If you want to go into business for yourself supporting consumers, then a good start would be MCITP - Consumer Support Technician

I hope this helps!
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:57 AM

All replies

• The three CompTIA courses you noted will give you a foundation on knowing/uderstanding the hardware side.  If you're looking to move towards a destop or network administrator, look at some of the Microsoft certifications for Vista and Server 2008.  Much depends upon where your current interests and skills lie, and if you want to specialize in a partcular area (Server 2008, Exchange, SharePoint Server, etc.)
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:14 PM
    Answerer
  • Anything and everything is interesting in my eyes. But I guess I could start from the hardware side of things.

I had just thought the CompTIA courses were strongly recommended to pursue any of the Microsoft certs.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:24 PM
  • I have to say that I didn't really know where to start, so I started at the bottom and am working my way up.

If you want to work in a corporate environment as a helpdesk individual, then an ideal start is MCITP - Enterprise Support Technician

It consists of 2 exams and you can get fairly cheap Microsoft press books with test exams to point you in the right direction. I found it a very good starting point and am now working towards MCITP Enterprise Administrator

If you want to go into business for yourself supporting consumers, then a good start would be MCITP - Consumer Support Technician

I hope this helps!
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:57 AM
  • Wow Brian, that's something that I can actually grasp and use towards my career path. Very helpful information.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 3:33 PM
  • No problem, glad to be of help :o)
    • Proposed as answer by Brian_Jones Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:53 AM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:52 AM