Running Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know what updates are safe to install on Windows Home server PP3?  I just got my first home server and installed PP3.  I allowed updates to be installed automatically, and it went ahead and installed everything such as IE8, bunch of server 2003 updates, MSRT, etc.  After than I could no longer her IE to open and it gave me an error about "URLMON". 

I started again at factory default settings, installed PP3, and everything is fine.  But I am affraid to install any further updates for fear of breaking it again.

These things seem so easy to break.  I am an IT manager/sysadmin so feel free to talk techie.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:47 PM

Answers

• Actually I just installed WHS PP1 (into a Hyper-V virtual machine) over the weekend and I just let it download all the updates on it's own figuring it would know in what order to install them. It did about 80+ updates at first, then did PP2, did another group of a dozen or so, and then finally it installed PP3 along with some other updates.
    I've has no issues so far with just letting WHS take care of the updates on it's own and not interfering with it.

I do however check the updates before I let them be installed so I at least know what's going onto my machine.

Maybe if you just let WHS determine the downloads in what order it wants them might rectify your issue.
    http://www.wwiivehicles.com
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:45 PM

All replies

• Actually I just installed WHS PP1 (into a Hyper-V virtual machine) over the weekend and I just let it download all the updates on it's own figuring it would know in what order to install them. It did about 80+ updates at first, then did PP2, did another group of a dozen or so, and then finally it installed PP3 along with some other updates.
    I've has no issues so far with just letting WHS take care of the updates on it's own and not interfering with it.

I do however check the updates before I let them be installed so I at least know what's going onto my machine.

Maybe if you just let WHS determine the downloads in what order it wants them might rectify your issue.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Thanks.  Did it also install IE8?  I think that is probably the one that killed my system.
    Friday, January 1, 2010 12:32 AM
  • Yes, it installed it any other updates apart of the automatic updates. I did look to see what was it was installing and let it install everything.
    Friday, January 1, 2010 1:43 AM
  • Does anyone know what updates are safe to install on Windows Home server PP3?  I just got my first home server and installed PP3.  I allowed updates to be installed automatically, and it went ahead and installed everything such as IE8, bunch of server 2003 updates, MSRT, etc.  After than I could no longer her IE to open and it gave me an error about "URLMON". 

I started again at factory default settings, installed PP3, and everything is fine.  But I am affraid to install any further updates for fear of breaking it again.

These things seem so easy to break.  I am an IT manager/sysadmin so feel free to talk techie.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.
    As long as you use the Console to update your server, it should work.  The problem some users have had in the past is they logon to server desktop (which is unsupported) and install all updates including the Software, Optional updates (which seems to affect some of the WHS specific updates).
    Friday, January 1, 2010 11:48 PM