off topic - Latest Vista Update has one Update That Fails To Install (Works 8 KB955428) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Yesterday, Windows Update attempted to install a bunch of new security updates for Vista. All installed properly except one: Works 8 KB955438).

The window that comes up with the error message says, "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'WORKS8.MSI' in the box below."

The path in the 'box below' is "C:\hp\tmp\src\MSWORKS\".

I don't use Works; I use Office. You may ask then why I care. I fear this update is going to try to install every time I install future updates, and I'm going to get this message forever. It's aggravating.

Thanks in advance for any help,

- Tom

Friday, August 15, 2008 2:46 PM

All replies

• I just had this happen on a PC yesterday. Download the update to your desktop from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=458985c3-9c6f-4049-81cd-0d0389c81f11&DisplayLang=en

Extract the installer from within the downloaded .cab file.

Right click the extracted installer file, select Apply.

You may or may not see any activity.

Reboot the PC and go to Windows Update. You should see no available critical/important updates.

You were offered this update because Works 8.0 is installed on your PC, but the patch wants the installation media, however, it doesn't tell you that. Running the patch manually apparently doesn't need the media.

If you need help - 

Windows Update Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

Note that you're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare.

-steve

Friday, August 15, 2008 3:11 PM
  • Steve,

It worked. Thanks!

I knew I was off topic--that's why I put it in the off topic section--but I couldn't find an appropriate forum.

I don't even know want Live OneCare is, but it seemed closest to what I needed--care!

Thanks again,

- Tom

Friday, August 15, 2008 7:16 PM
  • You're welcome. I can't take credit for the fix and it irritates me that this was released as a critical update in this manner... I found the solution in the Windows Update newsgroup (linked from the solution center link in my previous reply). Keep that link handy for the future as we know that there will be other update blips. ;-)

-steve

Friday, August 15, 2008 7:20 PM
  • thanks alot! worked perfect
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:55 PM