Microsoft Money Plus Sunset Edition doesn't open RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am having a bit of difficulty with my installation of Money.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and have been keeping it up to date, which may be part of the issue.

Everything was working fine until March 15th, when I installed two updates, one was a security update and the other was an "update for Windows 7" (KB2952664 I believe.)

After installing updates and rebooting Money does not open. It shows the following error:

"Before you can run Money on this computer, you must run the Setup program on the Money CD or in the directory where the Money files were copied."

(I would show you a screen capture but my account isn't verified I guess?)

Steps I have taken in an attempt to remedy the situation:

• uninstall the two updates that were installed 
    • .dll patch 
    • reinstall Money
    • Uninstall Money and then reinstall Money

Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

-Glorfinde1

EDIT: When I look at the list of installed programs to uninstall Money it is shown as using 100GB of storage...?!

Could someone check the size of their msmoney.exe file in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles? Mine is 64KB and that doesn't sound right to me.

• Edited by Glorfinde1 Saturday, March 18, 2017 3:01 PM More information
    Friday, March 17, 2017 10:36 PM

Answers

• I just tested Money Plus Sunset on my Windows 7 Pro (x64) machine and it runs fine after the recent Windows updates are applied.  I suspect that the source of your problem is different.  One thing that you could try is to do a system restore to a point before the recent Windows updates.  Windows Update creates a restore point before it applies any updates.  Did you maybe make some other system changes recently?

The 100Gb file size shown in the Windows 7 "Add or Remove Programs" is bogus.  The Money files should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus and that folder is 97.6 Mb.  That size does show correctly in the Windows 10 "Apps and Features" screen so that's one (admittedly modest) thing that Windows 10 did in support of Microsoft Money.

Bill Becker

• Marked as answer by Glorfinde1 Monday, March 20, 2017 1:09 PM
    Saturday, March 18, 2017 7:37 PM

All replies

• I just tested Money Plus Sunset on my Windows 7 Pro (x64) machine and it runs fine after the recent Windows updates are applied.  I suspect that the source of your problem is different.  One thing that you could try is to do a system restore to a point before the recent Windows updates.  Windows Update creates a restore point before it applies any updates.  Did you maybe make some other system changes recently?

The 100Gb file size shown in the Windows 7 "Add or Remove Programs" is bogus.  The Money files should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus and that folder is 97.6 Mb.  That size does show correctly in the Windows 10 "Apps and Features" screen so that's one (admittedly modest) thing that Windows 10 did in support of Microsoft Money.

Bill Becker

• Marked as answer by Glorfinde1 Monday, March 20, 2017 1:09 PM
    Saturday, March 18, 2017 7:37 PM
  • Thanks for the reply!

I'll try restoring the system to an earlier point in time, thanks.

The only other thing I can think of that I did was set the date a year ahead... not sure if that could contribute or not, I don't believe I opened money while the date was set ahead.

Sunday, March 19, 2017 9:34 PM
  • It now works fine, thanks!

I'm now reinstalling the updates and will let you know how it goes.

Monday, March 20, 2017 1:11 PM