Windows Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am sure I am being very stupid here!

I have built a Windows Home Server 2011 and its working very well. What I am unable to do is to link the libraries from my Windows 7 Home PC (which is on the same Network) so that the my Server has a perfect copy of all the PC libaries on the Home PC ie: Docs - Music - Phots - Vids - Rec TV etc on the Server.

I think it's something to do with sharing?!?! Or SYNC?!? Or Somthing!!

Can someone please help -

(I backup my Home PC every night on the server using Acronis but I want to be able to access all the files on my Home PC from the Server when I am away from home)

Best wishes

Andrew

Monday, July 30, 2012 5:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Andrew.

You're not being stupid, maybe just not used to server-based networking.

A point of having Windows Home Server is to have a central place to store/manage all of the digital media for your home.  By keeping your digital content on your sever, all of your PCs can access it at any time.  With Remote Web Access, you can access this content from the Internet as well.

There is no built-in way to "sync" your Windows 7 client libraries to your server. But once you move or copy your digital media to your server, you can add the server folder locations to your Windows 7 libraries, so that the server content is always visible and accessible to your PC.

(If you have Windows 7 Professional or higher, you can also enable Offline Files for any server folder, which syncs the server content to your PC so that it can be accessed if the server should go "offline" for any reason--if you are interested in this, I suggest a Bing search for more info.)

If you would also like to share the content on your client PCs with other PCs in your home, you can create a Windows Homegroup to do this. Again, search is your friend.

Windows Home Server provides for centralized nightly backups of all your connected PCs, so that you don't need to use Windows Backup or 3rd party solutions like Acronis.  WHS backup is generally more robust and reliable than client-based backup products.  I would encourage you to look into using WHS backup features if you haven't already done so.

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, August 6, 2012 7:34 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 7:32 PM
  • I think you are missing the point here:

• WHS has its own client backup capability which runs automatically to a schedule and provides complete bare metal client restore - Acronis is not needed.
    • You can't access files on your home PC remotely unless it is switched on - if that's the case you can log in remotely to WHS and connect to your PC from there. A better solution is to use your server and store files on it in Shared Folders which you can access remotely or from your home computer on your local network. Don't forget to set up Server backups to protect your data.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrew.

You're not being stupid, maybe just not used to server-based networking.

A point of having Windows Home Server is to have a central place to store/manage all of the digital media for your home.  By keeping your digital content on your sever, all of your PCs can access it at any time.  With Remote Web Access, you can access this content from the Internet as well.

There is no built-in way to "sync" your Windows 7 client libraries to your server. But once you move or copy your digital media to your server, you can add the server folder locations to your Windows 7 libraries, so that the server content is always visible and accessible to your PC.

(If you have Windows 7 Professional or higher, you can also enable Offline Files for any server folder, which syncs the server content to your PC so that it can be accessed if the server should go "offline" for any reason--if you are interested in this, I suggest a Bing search for more info.)

If you would also like to share the content on your client PCs with other PCs in your home, you can create a Windows Homegroup to do this. Again, search is your friend.

Windows Home Server provides for centralized nightly backups of all your connected PCs, so that you don't need to use Windows Backup or 3rd party solutions like Acronis.  WHS backup is generally more robust and reliable than client-based backup products.  I would encourage you to look into using WHS backup features if you haven't already done so.

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:32 PM
  • I think you are missing the point here:

• WHS has its own client backup capability which runs automatically to a schedule and provides complete bare metal client restore - Acronis is not needed.
    • You can't access files on your home PC remotely unless it is switched on - if that's the case you can log in remotely to WHS and connect to your PC from there. A better solution is to use your server and store files on it in Shared Folders which you can access remotely or from your home computer on your local network. Don't forget to set up Server backups to protect your data.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:35 PM
  • Just an addendum to Phil's comment above: you can only log in remotely to WHS and connect to your PC from there if your PC is running certain operating systems. If your PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium, for example, you can't do this...
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:36 PM
  • Hi Gary,<o:p></o:p>

Many thanks for your assistance.<o:p></o:p>

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on my home PC and Windows 7 Pro on my Laptop.<o:p></o:p>

I find it very odd that my WHS won't do what our Microsoft Small Business Systems Server
    does at work which is to keep a mirror image of my work PC’s libraries.<o:p></o:p>

As was pointed out by another respondent I don't want to remotely access other
    computers on my Network other than the Server itself which is the only machine
    left running 24/7.<o:p></o:p>

While Windows backup may be robust it's not incremental and within a very short time
    the relevant 1TB hard drive is full.<o:p></o:p>

It appears to me that WHS’s purpose in life is a grand backup facility and not what I want
    which is a remotely accessible data store allowing me to access the work I do
    at home when I am away without having to copy all the files from my home PC to the
    server every time I update or create new files.<o:p></o:p>

Once again – many thanks,<o:p></o:p>

Andrew<o:p></o:p>

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:23 PM
  • You can do what you want to do by storing your data on the server and using Offline Folders to sync data to your laptop automatically. You can then access the latest data either on the laptop or on the server via remote access when you are away. If you prefer to have your master database on your laptop, you can use a simple tool such as SyncToy to automatically copy it to your server.

WHS Client backups are incremental and indeed are more efficient than that as the same data on different clients (e.g. OS files) are only backed up once thus saving space.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:37 PM
  • While Windows backup may be robust it's not incremental and within a very short time
    the relevant 1TB hard drive is full.

Actually, it's better than incremental, it's a time machine. But clearly WHS is not for you. Good luck in your search. You might want to look at using SkyDrive, which will sync transparently with multiple PCs and devices.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:41 PM