Where should the billing email address be stored on a Quote/Order? RRS feed

• Question

• For Quotes/Orders, I notice that on the Address tab there isn't a location for Email Address. Is this by design? We do most of our business via email and this information is extremely important for the Accounting department.

I am opposed to repurposing fields and storing the information somewhere it shouldn't be. I see a few options and am looking for some feedback. If you see other options, let me know.

1. Add a custom text field to store the email address. The field would have to be on the Quote and Order entities with a data-mapping between them.

2. Add a custom billing contact (lookup) field. The field would hold references to a Contact entity. I could then use custom ECMAScript to retrieve the contact's data fields and fill in the Billing Information section of the Address tab.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 4:25 PM

Answers

• You could create a relationship to contact called 'Billing Contact' and then populate the billing email address field via a workflow which fires when the Billing Contact attribute is changed.
    Neil - My CRM Blog
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by LukeG84 Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:29 PM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:46 PM

All replies

• You could create a relationship to contact called 'Billing Contact' and then populate the billing email address field via a workflow which fires when the Billing Contact attribute is changed.
    Neil - My CRM Blog
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by LukeG84 Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:29 PM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:46 PM
  • You're quotes and orders are most likely already related to an Account or Contact so you shouldn't need to create an additional relationship.  Instead, using Neil's suggestion, have a workflow that triggers OnCreate and OnChange of a custom e-mail field that you add to the Quote and Order.  The workflow should set the e-mail address of the related Contact or Account depending on how which type you associate with. 

If you don't actually need to see this field on the record, you don't need to make any change.  You can train the users to look at the related record's e-mail address, or create a Quote or Order report that displays the e-mail address.

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:38 PM