Unable to image sys C: ? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I've been checking. Is it true that you can NOT image the C: (sys) drive of WHS? How in the world can one get a backup of a C: (sys) partition in case of a disaster? I hope the the only solution is not reinstall the OS and then reinstall all Add-Ins? This would be a total KILLER! Especially, when an image of a typical OS (about 12-14G) takes about 15 mins to reinstall.

So, what's the word? GOOD NEWS or BAD?

Sunday, December 12, 2010 2:16 AM

All replies

• Yes, it's true. Imaging (backup of any sort) isn't supported. Server recovery is the only supported method of recovering from system disk failure, OS corruption, etc. Remember, however, that Windows Home Server isn't a desktop OS. It's an OEM product, designed to be supplied on a "headless" computer. Without local console, it's not going to be possible to restore from a hard disk failure.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:33 AM
  • I was afraid of this. I also run SBS2003 along with 5 desktops & 2 laptops all with the OS on Ghost files which is great!! Although my WHS is not tied into my business domain (anymore, wow, what problems there), I am running it for pesonal home use and is not as mission critical other than a data loss would be a disaster. What exactly is the Server recovery method? Is this just throw in the disk & pray the drop down will give you the option to reinstall so you don't lose your data, or is this some type of ADD-In available? Thank you for your help.
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:41 PM