Deterioration of Vista Functionality and Access RRS feed

• Question

• I have Vista Home Premium for my Compaq laptop and began having functionality problems four days ago. First, I was unable to access multiple items on my control panel and the security center. When I attempted a System Restore, I was given a message that no restoration points had been saved and to go to System Properties to create a manual restore point...however, the tab to do so was missing. I shut down the computer and restarted in Safe Mode to  try to do the same thing and no difference. After trying to start the system again normally it wouldn't appeared to be off....as if there was problem with the video card. Again, I started the computer over in safe mode with networking and after searching for fixes to the issue for a few hours and running spyware, malware, and registry cleaner programs (with no threats or abnormalities found) I was unable to access the internet in Safe Mode and was blocked from searching for my network. After attempting malware scans and system recovery from the command prompt, I found that the computer would not accept a charge. This completely baffled me. I've never had that problem before, but I couldn't charge the battery with either of my power cords. Has anyone heard of this issue??? I hadn't made any intentional changes or updates to my system. I know there are crazy viruses out there, but I've never heard of anything like this....
    • Edited by SBrown03 Monday, September 14, 2009 1:50 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 1:41 PM

Answers

• Hello SBrown03,

Up until the charging part, many of the symptoms you describe could have been attributed to malware or perhaps a defective hardware situation negatively affecting the installation of Vista.

However, charging is a basic function of hardware so it's now looking very much like a hardware problem.

In your situation, if there is still factory warranty remaining I would first attempt to backup my data then turn it over to Compaq support for further review.

If out of warranty, my first step would still be to backup data using an offline operating system (one that runs from a CD) to rescue the data from the hard disk and copy it to external storage.  Or if you had adapters or docking stations for laptop hard drives, connect it via USB/eSATA to another computer and rescue your data that way.

Once your data is rescued, I would then start testing whatever I could with external test programs:  hard disk drive, RAM, etc.  HP/Compaq has a downloadable hardware test suite from PCTools that you ca burn to disc and run to run the entire computer thru hardware tests---you'll find the program on the laptop's support page at support.hp.com.

Good Luck!
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:11 PM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:01 AM

All replies

• To help us troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool.  Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post.  Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Monday, September 14, 2009 1:48 PM
  • I can't access the internet any longer from my computer. I don't even have access to my event log.

Monday, September 14, 2009 1:52 PM
  • Hello SBrown03,

If you do not have access to the Start Button:

1)    Login to Vista and click the option that brings up Internet Explorer. (the option may be titled "Learn More Online or "Use Windows with Reduced Functionality")

2)    Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.

3)    A window will come up asking if you want to “Run” or “Save”, Select “Run”

4)    When the program runs, click the “Continue” button, then click the “Copy” button.

5)    Return to this thread http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/b60438a5-ba94-4832-9db0-4d775a72764b.

6)    In a reply post, paste the Diagnostic Report.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Hello SBrown03,

Up until the charging part, many of the symptoms you describe could have been attributed to malware or perhaps a defective hardware situation negatively affecting the installation of Vista.

However, charging is a basic function of hardware so it's now looking very much like a hardware problem.

In your situation, if there is still factory warranty remaining I would first attempt to backup my data then turn it over to Compaq support for further review.

If out of warranty, my first step would still be to backup data using an offline operating system (one that runs from a CD) to rescue the data from the hard disk and copy it to external storage.  Or if you had adapters or docking stations for laptop hard drives, connect it via USB/eSATA to another computer and rescue your data that way.

Once your data is rescued, I would then start testing whatever I could with external test programs:  hard disk drive, RAM, etc.  HP/Compaq has a downloadable hardware test suite from PCTools that you ca burn to disc and run to run the entire computer thru hardware tests---you'll find the program on the laptop's support page at support.hp.com.

Good Luck!
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:11 PM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:01 AM