locked
Error when installing CRM 2011 Rollup 5 RRS feed

  • Question

  • I've just attempted to install CRM 2011 Rollup 5 on our development environment, and unfortunately it failed spectacularly.

    Well, the installation of the rollup itself went fine, but finished with the following warning:

     

    “The Update Rollup 5 for Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server (KB2567454) completed successfully. However, the database update failed for some organizations.

     View the log file for more information. To update each organization manually, use Deployment Manager.”

     

    Okay then, I opened Deployment Manager, and could see that my organization was listed as "Update available". I marked the organization, clicked "Update", completed the initial checks without warnings, and then proceeded to run the update. Unfortunately this failed with the following error message:

    11:27:10|  Error| Installer Complete: OrganizationDatabaseHotFixer - Error encountered

    11:27:10|  Error| Exception occured during Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.OrganizationDatabaseHotFixer: Action Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.InstallDatabaseUpdatesAction failed.

    InnerException:

    System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Microsoft.Crm.Metadata.MetadataCacheConfigInfo' from assembly 'Microsoft.Crm.Platform.Sdk, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'.

       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.InstallDatabaseUpdatesAction.Do(IDictionary parameters)

       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.CrmAction.ExecuteAction(CrmAction action, IDictionary parameters, Boolean undo)

    11:27:10|   Info| Setting organization state.  New state = Failed

    11:27:10|  Error| Update Organization with Id=85088e31-48f6-e011-8e4e-0050569d679c failed with Exception:

    System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.InstallDatabaseUpdatesAction failed. ---> System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Microsoft.Crm.Metadata.MetadataCacheConfigInfo' from assembly 'Microsoft.Crm.Platform.Sdk, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'.

       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.InstallDatabaseUpdatesAction.Do(IDictionary parameters)

       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.CrmAction.ExecuteAction(CrmAction action, IDictionary parameters, Boolean undo)

       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.CrmAction.ExecuteAction(CrmAction action, IDictionary parameters, Boolean undo)

       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Installer.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)

       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.OrganizationOperation.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)

       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.OrganizationOperation.Execute()

       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.OrganizationDatabaseHotFixer.Execute()

      at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.ApplyDatabaseHotFixInstaller.ApplyDatabaseHotFix(IApplyDatabaseHotFixInfo applyDatabaseHotFixInfo)

    Google hasn't been of any help at all, and I am now stuck with a development environment with an inaccessible CRM. Have any of you experienced something similar, and can help me to proceed from here?

    The assembly, Microsoft.Crm. Platform.Sdk is present in the \Microsoft Dynamics CRM\Server\bin folder, but not in the GAC... I don't know if that's the issue though, as it doesn't seem like it's missing the assembly as much as a function within the assembly.

     

    Is my mistake that rollup 5 isn't as cumulative as it claims, so I should have added previous rollups first (we went straight from none at all to rollup 5)?

     

    Any and all help is much appreciated! I'd love to get this sorted before Monday :-/

    Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:48 AM

Answers

  • Returning to answer the question myself.

    The problem was that our installation wasn't "clean", but had had a lot of custom code added to it. Once I ran a fresh deploy of our own code, everything cleared up and I was able to both access CRM again and get the organization updated via Deployment Manager. I hadn't considered that our code could be the source of all the issues as that never used to be an issue with rollups for CRM 4.0.

    Anyway, it all works now, and I can rest easily :)

    • Marked as answer by Maria Elmvang Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:48 PM
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:48 PM

All replies

  • Returning to answer the question myself.

    The problem was that our installation wasn't "clean", but had had a lot of custom code added to it. Once I ran a fresh deploy of our own code, everything cleared up and I was able to both access CRM again and get the organization updated via Deployment Manager. I hadn't considered that our code could be the source of all the issues as that never used to be an issue with rollups for CRM 4.0.

    Anyway, it all works now, and I can rest easily :)

    • Marked as answer by Maria Elmvang Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:48 PM
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:48 PM
  • 3 years later, just thought I'd update to say that much the same solution was necessary when updating CRM 2013 to SP1. The error message was very similar - only it complained about version 6.0.0.0 instead. However, the solution was the same - redeploy code changes, and all is well.

    Monday, May 4, 2015 9:09 AM